Global Entry Fan Club

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by jbcarioca, Jul 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I arrived in the US a few hours ago on DL, thus to ATL. There were huge lines of people at both US and non-US immigration. With GE I was off to baggage claim Four (4) minutes after the airplane door opened including the long walk to immigration. Two minutes later I was at baggage claim and my two bags were coming on the carousel! I had dropped the bags off for my connection, passed through security and taken the train to my departure terminal ten (10) minutes later. I was in the Sky Club having my morning oatmeal only a couple of minutes later. The entire process took me less than twenty minutes.

Now as i relax in the Sky Club I recognize that DL had a lot to do with this, but it would never have happened if I had had to wait in the long lines. A travel companion in Business with me, also ST Elite Plus, is just now arriving in the Sky Club and looking surprised that i am so relaxed. I predict she'll sign up for Global Entry soon.

Kalboz, IDGflygirl, Gargoyle and 8 others like this.
  2. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear you friend may sign up for GE, the less that do the better for those that already have it. I also notice that Nexus is being signed up by hundreds, just look at the Nexus offices at the airport and the one in downtown Vancouver, they are full of new people signing up, what a shame, the lines grow shorter for the regular immigaration proceedure and longer at the Nexus and GE machines. Nexus and GE should been kept the best kept secrets.;)

Gargoyle, rwoman, druiddation and 2 others like this.
  3. ShopAround
    Original Member

ShopAround Silver Member

Status Points:
    Global Entry is a huge time-saver. I had a trip a few month ago when the line for immigration was so long when we arrived at JFK, they weren't even letting any more people into the area, we were held in the hall upstairs. When my travel companion and I told the security guard we had Global Entry, she let us through. I had claimed my bag and was out the door while other people on my flight were still waiting on line at immigration.

TAHKUCT, Gargoyle, rwoman and 2 others like this.
  4. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    I disagree. The more support GE gets, the more entry points will support it, the more kiosks we will get, and the more likely the program is to continue (and hopefully become the basis for the Trusted Traveler program). I doubt GE will ever become prevalent, simply because of the number of once or twice a year international travelers who will refuse to pay the fee. For the rest of us, it will continue to be a time saver.

I LOVE GE!

dkelly1110, Gargoyle, rwoman and 4 others like this.
  5. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully my GE application is approved.

rwoman and jbcarioca like this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope so too. The more people who use it the more expansion the system will see IMO.

bonnerbl, rwoman and jmrich1432 like this.
  7. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just arrived in ORD yesterday and both arrivals halls were packed for both US and non-US. The entire time I stood in line, I didn't notice even one person using Global Entry. I'd say there aren't very many users at all. I agree with BurBunny re: infrequent international travelers not seeing a compelling value prop to getting GE. I've been to Europe 3 times this year and Asia once last year, but that's it since my last international trip (not including canada) in 2003. I'd fall into the "infrequent international traveler" camp. If I knew I'd be traveling abroad fairly regularly on an annual basis, I'd get GE and get my company to pay for it.

Gargoyle, rwoman and jbcarioca like this.
  8. druiddation
    Original Member

druiddation Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm finding that after baggage claim at a lot of airports the Global Entry exit is the same line as everyone else.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    At ATL and MIA it is the same line, but GE get to cut in ahead of everyone else, but also must show the passport to the officer who collects the customs form. It is still far faster.

rwoman and druiddation like this.
  10. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    At Dulles, I was reminded to cut ahead of other people by using the very far left lane, up against the wall. The CBP person collecting declaration forms recognized me as a member and called me up right away.

Have asked at places like Chicago about it, and they don't really have the same kind of policy. One said that I could, but I would be subject to scorn from others in line.

11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am accustomed to the scorn as I breeze by the A380 and B747 loads of waiting non-GE people. GE is the best status I have.

bonnerbl and BurBunny like this.
  12. druiddation
    Original Member

druiddation Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I had my GE interview at MCO they told me how to cut the line. Unfortunately they didn't tell their own officers at MCO the same thing as one has let me but two have told me to go to the back of the line.

Gargoyle and jbcarioca like this.
  13. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Used it for the first time recently at JFK and MIA returning from trips to the Caribbean and Europe and loved it. MIA was a slight blur because I was in a wheelchair and being 'driven' around and through lines, but skirting through the mass of people there at the time was a definite plus. JFK wasn't as big a deal. At the time we landed there was virtually no one in passport control or customs anyway, but glad to have it all the same.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. TennisPro
    Original Member

TennisPro Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I fly with someone that does not have Global Entry, are there any ways they can benefit from me having Global Entry?

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    That you'll have their luggage pulled and waiting for them when they exit immigration? :D

lili, TennisPro and jbcarioca like this.
  16. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can attest: Said friends do indeed appreciate the valet service.:p I wish they'd get their own GE, and have said that. I suspect my most frequent customers of my luggage handler services will apply soon.

TennisPro likes this.
  17. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love GE too, but just how much more expansion are people looking for? It is already in place at the 17 busiest US gateways, plus a couple of others. Personally, I think improving the speed of the processing, as well as tweaking traffic flows and formalizing expedited customs inspection at existing stations, would bring more value to more users than throwing kiosks in places like CLT or MSP, which see relatively little international traffic.

Agree that the potential pool of applicants is very small. Maybe if it didn't cost $100 and didn't require the trip the airport, it would become bloated, but I don't see it. Even among elite FFers, many rarely leave the country.

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with that. I use CLT frequently. It is so quick anyway that GE would confer no benefit other than bragging rights. I get out of CLT typically in less than 10 minutes including waiting for bags. What more can anyone want? GE is expensive. It should be used only for congested locations.

19. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to have it at my home base MSP in some form. In some ways the biggest boost would be availability of more interview locations. I'm not sure how much it would take to throw up a kiosk or two and provide interviews, but it would have been nice to be able to schedule an interview at my home interview rather than mixing it in with other travels.

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

GenevaFlyer Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hi,

The best benefit, and the one that gets the most angry stares: getting to cut into the crew lane when you got the X .... the look on the crews' face is priceless ... (and even better is replying to a KLM crew muttering in Dutch in their own language :))

GenevaFlyer

21. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That must be a priceless experience!

Gargoyle and GenevaFlyer like this.
  22. TennisPro
    Original Member

TennisPro Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the greater concern, than having the program get too big, is to have the program eliminated, because not enough people joined.

23. TennisPro
    Original Member

TennisPro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you tried cutting in line with any of your non-GE friends with you?

jbcarioca likes this.
  24. TennisPro
    Original Member

TennisPro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hahahaha! I could even pull the car around for them.

jbcarioca likes this.
  25. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

GenevaFlyer Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It is indeed :D

GenevaFlyer