Global and Regional Premier Upgrades

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by passioninlife77, Feb 25, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. passioninlife77

passioninlife77 Member

Status Points:
    I hit Premier 1K status and was awarded 6 Global and 4 Regional Premier upgrades that are valid till January 31, 2015. While this is all fine and dandy, I have recently moved to Kenya because of my work. The upgrades would have been lovely if I still lived in Chicago as I did until last year. It is my understanding that I can use the Global Upgrades on United flights only, and not on Star Alliance carriers. My work travels are almost within Africa and there is no way I am flying United except for maybe one or two flights between Europe and Chicago in 2014.

This is the first time I have hit Premier 1K, so I have never been in a situation where I have upgrades that I may not use. I hate to let them go to waste. Is there any other way to use or extend these upgrades? I realize you cannot really sell them, but can they be transferred to another passenger for a fee or exchange for miles? Do people really sell these upgrades?

Any advice from you seasoned travelers is highly appreciated. Please and thank you!

2. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    GPU's can be used on Lufthansa as well (certain fare classes only).

One is not permitted to sell / barter GPU's / RPU's according to the rules of the program. (what happens in real life may be different).

You can easily apply GPU's / RPU's for any United itineraries that your friends / family are planning to fly.
    Remember, GPU use (for international tickets) are restricted to W-fare-class and above for an upgrade from economy to business. (For business to first class upgrade, one will need a C or D class ticket).

jetsetr, 8MiHi and nestep like this.
  3. passioninlife77

passioninlife77 Member

Status Points:
    Thank you, snod08. It is good to know that I can use them on Lufthansa.

Perhaps some frequent traveler may want to exchange/ buy the GPUs/ RPUs off site.

4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would be extremely careful since UA reads these forums and by posting threads like these you're painting a target on your back.

theBOAT and MSYgirl like this.
  5. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    You pretty much have to give them away / let them expire at this point. Nothing is anonymous these days, sorry.

theBOAT

8MiHi and Flyer1976 like this.