Glasgow Prestwick Airport

Discussion in 'Europe' started by weegiewife, Feb 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. weegiewife
    Original Member

weegiewife Silver Member

First content based contribution, so please be kind :)

Glasgow Prestwick Airport is really the 'secondary' airport for the Glasgow area, and is used primarily by low cost European carriers -i.e. Ryanair and Wizzair. The information I am contributing here is less broadly publicized and I've heard of a lot of people being caught out by not knowing the below information, so I hope this proves helpful for budget travelers like myself who may be inclined to use this airport.

Located 35 miles Southwest of Glasgow on the Ayrshire coastline, there is a direct rail link operating between the airport and Glasgow Central Station. Journey time ranges from 40-55 minutes depending on whether you get a local or express train. Train service doesn't begin until 6AM and ends around 23:30 ish, so please note that if you have a very early morning departure from the airport or a late arrival at the airport and intend to travel onward to Glasgow, your options become extremely limited outside of these hours. Up to date rail information can be found at - the timetable you are looking for is listed as Ayrshire and Inverclyde.

One not so commonly known tip for the budget traveler: Passengers with an air ticket arriving into or departing from Prestwick are eligible for 50% off their train fare to anywhere in Scotland if they show their boarding pass/air ticket and photo id to the train conductor when purchasing their ticket on the train. If you are travelling on a new air route in or out of the airport, you may qualify for a free rail ticket - as these offers can change, please refer to the information on the airport website:

It is possible to transfer between Glasgow Prestwick Airport (PIK) and Glasgow International Airport (GLA) by train, but it does take a fair bit of time. Take the train from Prestwick Airport to Paisley Gilmour Street Station, and then there is a bus link between Paisley Gilmour Street and Glasgow International Airport. I would recommend that you allow yourself a bare minimum of 2 hours to make this connection.

If you require any additional info about using this airport, please feel free to contact me.