Glasgow Prestwick Airport

Discussion in 'Europe' started by weegiewife, Feb 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. weegiewife
    Original Member

weegiewife Silver Member

Status Points:
    First content based contribution, so please be kind :)

Glasgow Prestwick Airport is really the 'secondary' airport for the Glasgow area, and is used primarily by low cost European carriers -i.e. Ryanair and Wizzair. The information I am contributing here is less broadly publicized and I've heard of a lot of people being caught out by not knowing the below information, so I hope this proves helpful for budget travelers like myself who may be inclined to use this airport.

Located 35 miles Southwest of Glasgow on the Ayrshire coastline, there is a direct rail link operating between the airport and Glasgow Central Station. Journey time ranges from 40-55 minutes depending on whether you get a local or express train. Train service doesn't begin until 6AM and ends around 23:30 ish, so please note that if you have a very early morning departure from the airport or a late arrival at the airport and intend to travel onward to Glasgow, your options become extremely limited outside of these hours. Up to date rail information can be found at http://www.scotrail.co.uk - the timetable you are looking for is listed as Ayrshire and Inverclyde.

One not so commonly known tip for the budget traveler: Passengers with an air ticket arriving into or departing from Prestwick are eligible for 50% off their train fare to anywhere in Scotland if they show their boarding pass/air ticket and photo id to the train conductor when purchasing their ticket on the train. If you are travelling on a new air route in or out of the airport, you may qualify for a free rail ticket - as these offers can change, please refer to the information on the airport website:
    http://www.glasgowprestwick.com/

It is possible to transfer between Glasgow Prestwick Airport (PIK) and Glasgow International Airport (GLA) by train, but it does take a fair bit of time. Take the train from Prestwick Airport to Paisley Gilmour Street Station, and then there is a bus link between Paisley Gilmour Street and Glasgow International Airport. I would recommend that you allow yourself a bare minimum of 2 hours to make this connection.

If you require any additional info about using this airport, please feel free to contact me.