Giving Your Upgraded Seat to Someone Else

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by barelyelite, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. barelyelite
    Original Member

barelyelite Silver Member

Status Points:
    I boarded a plane SFO-DFW and took my seat in Y, my upgrade having not cleared. At the end of the boarding process (the plane was full), I was approached and told my upgrade had cleared. I had made myself comfortable in seat 10A on the 757 and had just had a meal on my flight hours earlier, so I asked the guy who had been assigned my seat in Y if he wanted to sit up front. He of course said yes, but the FA stated that it was me, not him, who was upgraded, and that I should to F. I didn't really care enough to protest or to delay the flight any more, so I just got up and moved. But is this a policy, i.e., that you can't give your upgrade to someone else?

bez7 likes this.
  2. Chris H
    Original Member

Chris H Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seems a bit strange to me that they would disallow it. Maybe they make an exception, but I see people give up F seats to uniformed military on a regular basis.

blackjack-21 and bez7 like this.
  3. brp
    Original Member

brp Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the end, they can always pull the "security" card and say that people have to stay in their assigned cabin. If they're going to do that, they should apply it uniformly and not make distinctions for some people based on their chosen profession.

Cheers.

gemac likes this.
  4. You get normally a upgrade because of your Member level you have with the airline. So they do not want that you spend this to someone other because then they would probably give your upgrade to an other member with the same level.

5. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:
    Were you on yesterday's 2282?

I would hope that sensible thing for the GA to do would be to take the next person on the list if an upgrade was refused. JMHO. :)

6. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    [quote="barelyelite, post: 5212I had made myself comfortable in seat 10A on the 757....[/quote]

Didn't know that was possible. The 757 has the most uncomfortable coach seats in AA's mainline fleet, IMO.

oklAAhoma likes this.
  7. barelyelite
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, all. Makes sense that they don't want you to give your seat to non-status people, with the exception of military.

Agreed, but at the time I was OK with 10A due to the near-unlimited legroom.

Yes :). Were you?

8. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    But there is no sense in forcing you to sit in a certain seat. I gave my girlfriend often my seat in the front. [​IMG]

9. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes - I think you were the one that got upgraded into row 1 (e or f). I was the one who asked if you were on the inbound as well. :). About 4 of us doing turns on that flight yesterday.

10. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is never a problem with swapping boarding passes before boarding. You can even go through with your own boarding pass, then sit in your partner's seat and they sit in yours. Neither one calls any attention to yourself. What the OP is saying is totally different, and has a different result.

HNL likes this.
  11. barelyelite
    Original Member

Status Points:
    OK, I remember you [​IMG]. Didn't realize there were that many of us. I'll be doing it again next weekend (twice, actually--DCA-DFW-SFO)... maybe I'll see you again!

12. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    This matches my experiences completely.

gemac and oklAAhoma like this.
  13. cxn

cxn Active Member

Status Points:
    I have given away my seat before and not heard a word about it. But in the end, it is better to just agree and find out the rules later. I dont argue with the flight crew but let them know that I believe otherwise.

14. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like a 'I make the rules as I go" type of FA.

15. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe that there is some kind of requirement (not often enforced) that you sit in the actual seat on your boarding pass on international flights (perhaps just ones to the U.S.). Of course, FAs don't normally know what seat that is, and if you are obviously swapping to sit next to a family member they would let it go.

16. Zantaine
    Original Member

Zantaine Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was upgraded "prior to takeoff on a plane" once and asked the FA if I could give the F seat to someone else? (I had an exit row and knew I'd have no problems sleeping there) and the FA said, "It's your seat sir you can do whatever you want with it". (He was really nice about it)

17. iangilson

iangilson Active Member

Status Points:
    If, heaven forbid, your A/C crashes and burns or sinks to the bottom of the Atlantic than the seat assignments are used to "identify" you.

18. AAdam_flyer

AAdam_flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've heard of this being an issue before. Specifically, I remember an elite member giving up his UG to an armed service member and the FA denied the swap.

19. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    FAs do indeed know your assigned seat (not just "normally"). There is a passenger manifest which lists all passengers and their assigned seat, plus some additional information such as status level (which most FAs don't understand since it isn't part of their training nor job requirements). As you say, most of the time FAs don't care if you swap seats, but if they want to care, they can check.

20. ContinentalFan

ContinentalFan Gold Member

Status Points:
    They're picky about it. I've been upgraded on LAX/SFO. It's a pain having to move seats, when it's the last minute, because it's too late to move overheads. Plus, when it's early morning, someone else will be assigned my coach seat. Do, comfy as I am, I have to move.

21. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I often wish they would enforce it to some degree. Seems like every time I fly out of MDE on a paid Business ticket, there are always upgraded people wanting to sit together. I pick the seat I want when I pay for it, but I don't want to sit next to an angry spouse/S.O. who has been separated from their husband/wife/S.O. because I held my ground. The only place I draw the line is when they want me to move to a bulkhead.

There is one couple I see on every flight, and I know that they are flying free. I have heard them talk about it. They always - 100% of the time - cut to the front of the boarding line, act like they own the place, then beg for two seats together. I have yet to see them fail to find a volunteer. For that couple in particular, the volunteer will not be me.

timfrost and ContinentalFan like this.
  22. ContinentalFan

ContinentalFan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I decline. If I have the seat I want, I won't move.

Yep, people always kick up a stink, but I have a simple way of looking at it, which I point out if I have to. Had I said yes and moved, we wouldn't be having an extended conversation about my moving. So, the person who wants my seat isn't "asking," he's ordering.

Sometimes it's important to clarify who's being rude!

KenInEscazu likes this.
  23. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps my 8 years of life in Latin America (Costa Rica, in particular) have made me more pliant. The culture down here is very non-confrontational. While it sometimes drives me nuts, it really does make life easier - for me, anyway.

If I'm upgraded, I'm much less annoyed by the request. That seat wasn't chosen by me with the money to back it up weeks in advance, so it's naturally less important. When traveling with my girlfriend, however, I'm not playing the UG lottery. I will pay for the two seats together up front or figure we can't really afford to go. Heck... I'm doing that on most flights when I fly alone these days.

It is so rare that I ride in economy anymore that I now jokingly refer to "those people" as "Coach Trash." Not at all indicative of my real sentiments, but it is kind of funny. :D

Tonight I landed at SJO on Copa, and were waiting for another plane to be pushed back from our gate. We were 15 minutes early. Some guy from the Coach Trash crowd strolled up the aisle pulling his roller and stood at the bulkhead waiting for the door to open. Honestly, I was thinking, "What an idiot." An FA finally told him to go sit down and wait until we were at the gate. Being in the last row of Clase Negocios, I immediately put my laptop case in the aisle when the captain killed the engines. It's bad enough when they are in our lav on a short flight and I'm waiting to use it, but could anyone honestly think that we were just sitting there upon arrival to allow him to deplane before rising from our seats??? :rolleyes:

Disclaimer: I was upgraded on the Copa flight. With an UG percentage of 100 as a MileagePlus Elite (started as CO Silver, now M+ 1K) when flying Copa, there just isn't any point in paying more for something I know I'll get for free. It is going to be interesting to see where they rank me when they launch their new program in July. I'm hoping it's at or near the top. I still love flying that airline.