Giving The Gift Of Travel

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Sean Colahan, Feb 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    My awesome sister-in-law is getting married this year to a very sweet and proper "southern gentleman". They have a wonderful life for themselves, but not much extra disposable income for traveling to far off lands. My wife and I were talking about what we would like to get for them for a wedding present. I came up with the idea of using some of our huge stash of airline miles and fly them to wherever they wanted to go on their honeymoon. This would open up the options as to where they could go to celebrate their marriage to each other and to create a memorable trip. One evening recently we gave them a call, as we heard they were starting to talk about what they would do for a honeymoon, and told them of what we would like to give them for a present. The reaction they had when we told them made both my wife and I smile from ear to ear and get a really warm feeling inside. They were initially talking about just going somewhere else in the region where they live to get away. Even while on the phone they started talking options for places they could now go. For as long and as hard as I work to collect massive amounts of points and miles so that my wife and I can travel to destinations that I wouldn't be able to otherwise afford, I am glad that my "mileage currency" allowed me to give that gift of travel to people that I love so that they too can enjoy new, interesting, and fun destinations. So if you are miles rich, consider taking some of those points and share the gift of travel with someone who may not otherwise go the same places you do.

2. smokescreen
    Original Member

smokescreen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great post! It sounds like it's shaping up to be a very memorable honeymoon indeed! It's always inspiring to see such generous gestures... Thank you for sharing!

3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Awesome! I do the same thing with my IHG points on occasion. Makes a great gift!

4. anng3
    Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What a nice thing to do!

5. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've offered my mom a trip using the handful of United miles I have, but she's so indecisive, she hasn't used them yet! I agree, giving the gift of travel is a wonderful thing, and in the OP's case, a spectacular wedding present!

6. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's awesome, what a wonderful gift, Sean. :)

When my mom was diagnosed with cancer, after she completed her initial radiation and chemo, I used some of my miles to fly the two of us in F to take her on a cruise.

7. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    If only they would pick a destination so I can book the tickets.

smokescreen and miles and smiles like this.
  8. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is a fantastic gift. Hope mom is doing well.

miles and smiles likes this.
  9. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:

+1, and my hopes too that your mom is doing ok.

A few years ago, a friend of mine lost his best friend who was in his late 30s, and had to get from SFO-IAD. At the time, he was in some pretty bad financial straits, so we got a ticket for him using our miles. He was of course delighted and touched, especially when he got to the gate and found out he was in F!

10. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's so great to hear all the wonderful and positive ways we have been able to use our miles to help friends and loved ones:)

wrxmom, miles and smiles and ducster like this.
  11. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    could not agree more.

for my parents 40th, they flew F to Hawaii, all hotels & interisland air was covered, flew my brother & his family (in Y as he is a jerk:D) and flew my wife & I to be able to join my parents on a couple of islands.

When my oldest nephew got married, we gave them the miles needed for their honeymoon.

Miles have enriched my travel so much that I wanted to share with those I love.

estnet, Sean Colahan, wrxmom and 2 others like this.
  12. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Beautifully stated.

miles and smiles likes this.
  13. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, she passed away; it will be six years on the 15th. But it was one of the best use of my miles to date. :)

14. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    May she rest in peace, and may you always have good memories of her.

15. That’s definitely a worthwhile gift! I’ve never received the gift of travel though, I would really love to!

ducster and Sean Colahan like this.
  16. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a grad student I'm not very wealthy, so when the holidays come around it gets hard to find and buy presents for everyone, especially my parents. They have been in a downsizing mode, meaning they don't want to accumulate stuff. You can only give out so many restaurant gift cars until that gets old, so I thought of travel.

I knew they had plans to go to Toronto next summer on vacation from Virginia. I had originally thought of giving them some hotel nights, but about the time they finalized some dates, the BA miles program changed and I had some "new" Avios left over. I checked and was able to save them about $1400 for plane tickets by using 36K Avios.

It made a great gift for them and the value for the points was great for me. Maybe it'll get me out of birthday presents this year. ;)