Giving the gift of travel to your parents

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Mike1625, Jan 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Rick "The Frugal Travel Guy" just posted to his blog the idea of approaching an older generation about signing up for credit cards so you can travel.

Here is the post for anyone who wants to read it: http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/2012...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

In the comments "Ike" noted why not help our parents travel, and it got me to thinking, and I wanted to share my thoughts.

First I remember 1985 like it was yesterday, I was 9 years old, about to turn 10. It had to be the fall, because I remember watching the Dolphins on tv. I had to go spend a week with my retired Aunt and Uncle, because my parents were off to Honk Kong. The sort of trip that they could have never afforded (as people who were responsible with their money), except they had help from Holiday Inn. My best memory of the promotion was 100 stays in 6 months and Holiday Inn would give you 1 week at any Holiday Inn in the world, and 2 plane tickets to get there.

My father traveled a lot for business, so spending 100 of 180 nights at a Holiday Inn wasn't out of reach, but the promotion tracked stays, not nights, so he woudl check out after every night, and switch hotels, so that no 2 consecutive nights were ever at the same hotel.

My Aunt and Uncle were great. We did cool things, they had a pool, but I knew I wanted to be with my parents. Not going on that trip helped build the passion I have for travel. My parents took me so many places going forward. We went to Australia on Eastern Airline miles, we went to Europe on Marriott points.

Today my parents are retired (I'm 36, they are around 70). So my dad doesn't have a job that provides business travel. I love sharing the deals with them that allow them to visit more of the world. Just as they took me to Europe and Australia and on cruises ... now I help them take trips, often for free, sometimes for pennies on the dollar. I also think of some of the real sacrifices they made to pay for travel and how good it makes me feel to be able to return a small part of it to them now.

I know there are countless stories members of milepoint could share that are similar to mine. I just wanted to say how much better it would be to help our parents experience more of the world (remember, the world is a smaller place to us, then it was to them). We should not see our parents as an ATM where we can withdraw miles and hotel points.

2. ingy
    Original Member

ingy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mike: Great post and I agree that the giving and using of miles is a two way street. I took my tack with the post as a means of opening up a new thought process on the age old question "What do you want for Christmas" And certainly a trip to the warm and sunny for mom and dad fits well within the scope of the discussion. Unfortunately, in my family, my mom and dad are too old to travel anymore.

3. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    And of course ..... my point goes out the window when my (or anyone's) parents get to the age and health where either travel is not possible, or not enjoyable.

miles and smiles likes this.
  4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very true statement!

miles and smiles and Mike1625 like this.
  5. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is exactly what I have done since I started getting heavily into collecting points & miles in the past 2 years. My parents love to go home to visit relatives in the Philippines and the least I can do is send them there on my 'dime' on Cathay Pacific Business class. They thought it an awesome way to travel and hopefully I can continue to help them travel the world.

6. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Surprised to see Toronto on the list. I think London should be there instead of Toronto.

7. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember 1965 like it was yesterday ...:rolleyes:

miles and smiles likes this.
  8. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do think it works both ways, I sent my wife's mother to visit her family in SEA on miles which she loved, and it worked out well. I know it might not have been the best use of miles, but buying BGR-SEA on 2 weeks advanced notice was not the cheapest move in the world. I suspect I will be using miles a lot more as time goes on and my wife and I start a family far away from either of our parents. At the same time, I see nothing wrong with helping people sign up for cards and having the miles come to you and then you help them book things for themselves.

Mike1625 likes this.
  9. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree that sharing travel with your parents can be very rewarding in itself. Mom and I have always gone on little outings to the beach or other places we could drive but a couple of years ago, I booked a week long vacation in New England for both of us. She got to fly first class for the first time and stay in a very nice hotel. She loved every minute of it. It was such a rewarding experience for me that I plan to do something like that for her at least every other year. This year, we're headed to the Pacific Northwest and I plan to treat her with airfare and hotels just as I did last time. She traveled a good bit when she was younger but hasn't been anywhere very far in years, since she made so many sacrifices for me as a child.

Muerl and Mike1625 like this.