Tabled Giving Status/Premier Membership to Members that Contributed at Milepoint Meetups in NYC, CHI & WAS

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by HoKo, Feb 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

?

Should MP grant status points to those that contribute in ways other than posting (see my 1st post)

1. Yes

57.5%
  2. No

32.5%
  3. Undecided

10.0%
  1. HoKo
    Original Member

HoKo Silver Member

Status Points:
    So as promised here is the thread proposing granting status and/or premier membership to all Milepoint members that participated int the Milepoint meetups this past weekend in NYC, CHI and WAS.

Obviously I am somewhat biased as I stand to gain from this proposal :D but I think it would be a nice gesture for those of us that spent part of our weekend helping refine and develop the site.

Segue: One of the things that we had discussed at our session in WAS was granting status points (or some other form of recognition) to those members that contribute to the milepoint community in ways other than posting - such as attending meetups or organizing local events for milepoint members to get together.

I guess my proposal would be the first step in initiating this type of system. Of course I make this proposal in good humor but I think it would be a nice gesture.

yosithezet, Sean, WaterSki and 3 others like this.
  2. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it would be a great gesture and I have nothing to gain from this as I did not attend.

Thanks for your contributions we appreciate all that is being done to make MP a great place.

Kaanapali and Flyer1976 like this.
  3. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why just NYC, CHI and WAS? I would have voted yes if you said SP for all meeting attendees. It's a way of thanking their contributions.

But your question is different from what your post described. So I m confused and decided not to vote :p

Bob Smolinsky likes this.
  4. HoKo
    Original Member

HoKo Silver Member

Status Points:
    My apologies, I had not realized that there had already been other meetups, I was under the impression that the NYC, WAS, CHI meetups were the first of their kind.

Of course I would agree with you that attendees of any similar session in other cities would also be granted SP.

As for your 2nd point yeah I wanted to create two different poll questions that separated the 2 questions because as you said they are two distinct questions (although certainly interrelated) but unfortunately I could only add 1 question so I had to choose one

JALPak likes this.
  5. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks for posting/sending this along.

i think some sort of recognition would encourage those who don't post much or often to still be part of the community. status or recognition for participating in meetings, site building or whatever was done is not the same as "buying" membership to the site. if one were to buy a paid subscription or whatever, that should carry a different set of perks/status and not necessarily the same type of perks/status that those who volunteer their time and skills towards the site/community.

HoKo, you missed a great session on Sunday. ;) so much brainstorming, i ended up with a massive headache. (i am sure it was seasonal and not caused by the session.) LOL

6. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Note that CHI was canceled- only three of us signed up, plus three who were trying to attend but couldn't confirm. So three of us instead had a great Korean BBQ lunch at one of Sweet Willies hidden finds.

If need be we could post our beta feedback test results on a taste comparison of Hite, O.B. and Cass beer. That could be a significant contribution to the community, worthy of many status points. Keep in mind, we only drank those beverages for altruistic reasons, to help contribute to the Milepoint knowledge base.

7. magic111
    Original Member

magic111 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I was already recognized for my contribution at the SFO bootcamp.
    I was treated to a very delicious Italian dinner at a restaurant near the hotel, was given a breakfast along with a lunch of chateubrian during the bootcamp and finally received a very, very, favorable discount code for my stay at the HR.
    In addition my post made during the content buildind session was put into the running for the best post during content building and just may get me some additional rewards.
    But personally finding that I was able to contribute in a meaningful way for the foundation building was recognition enough. I even gave up my 1st class comp upgrade to fly standby in coach to get there in time to contribute. YMMV

Lalala, secretsea18, Tinkerer and 7 others like this.
  8. marathon man
    Original Member

marathon man Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do not agree that there should be different sets of points or status. The thing is in the end, people contribute in many ways and it should all add up toward one big coffer of points if and where ever possible.

Hoko I love this idea and I am personally interested in seeing this site grow as I want to be a part of something new. It was my first DO or meeting up with other mile and point savvy people and I DO intend on going to more of these things. I enjoyed being given the chance to present ideas in an open forum with a small group of people and have others listen, weigh in and comment on them as we went along. I had presented one idea which could work very well and it would be great to see something I actually said become of a great site such as this one--points or no points.

But of course, getting points for that sort of thing would be a cool bonus!

Gargoyle, Bob Smolinsky and JALPak like this.
  9. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Yes, I'm assuming that by launch time, or perhaps it's already in place, the algorithm will apply weight to both likes and posts depending on what, where, how, and wow factors.

10. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Caveat .... I would stand to gain from this (NYC Do on Sunday). That being said, it (doing something to recognize those that attended the boot-camps) would be a nice idea and I am sure Randy will decide what (if anything) to do for it. All I know is that I have some homework (thanks Art) to get done. ;)

However and more seriously, it was fun to meet new people that I have only met online, to discuss ideas in a congenial atmosphere and to learn about other's experiences and thoughts on making MP "beta". I look forward to attending my next one.

11. Nicole Blaess-Smith
    Original Member

Nicole Blaess-Smith Silver Member

Status Points:
    If they hold meet-ups all over the world, yes that would be great. :)

Gargoyle likes this.
  12. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Great idea, but logistics and expenses of holding these meetings has to be pretty steep already.

13. carsonheim
    Original Member

carsonheim Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know there is/was a MUC session..

As travel addicts I know many of the participants flew to attend sessions. I traveled from Texas to NYC

14. Waterstrider
    Original Member

Waterstrider Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think the point was necessarily to reward/recognize people for participating in the session. I think we all want to help MilePoint succeed and that is reason enough to participate. The idea was more general around counting participation in "live" events toward being considered a "contributing member of the community", in addition to just posting. I don't feel the need to get any recognition out of the session this weekend but I do think it's a good idea to get some credit for attending dos, meetups, happy hours, dinners if "contribution to the community" is used as a basis for awarding premium membership or other perks/status.

15. safetymom
    Original Member

safetymom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can see granting extra points for those that do more than post, but it isn't fair to those that didn't have the opportunity to attend one of these events.

Bob Smolinsky, secretsea18 and JALPak like this.
  16. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    i think the point was to help in some way to build the community. some of the people who attended this weekend just don't post much, if at all. they do other things instead of posting that help build the community.

not being able to attend a gathering, dinner or whatever should not count against anyone; neither should it cause bad feelings towards those that did. not everyone is able to just take off from RL to go to dinner or fly to a meeting, that is understood, too.

i am sure some sort of balance in this matter will be reached. i wouldn't worry too much about it. :)

17. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't have any plans to attend the announced gatherings, but I like this idea. Surely someone who contributes at a meeting is at least as deserving as someone who counts well.

Kaanapali and Gargoyle like this.
  18. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If this were to be offered, how would you know who went and contributed to "the community"... Most DOs, dinners, meetups in the lounge, etc are social events. They are done for the benefit of those who join in, and people join in and drop out at the last minute all the time. In addition, many are not publicized (at least on FT, many in the NYC area were not posted for general attendance just by and for those doing the "organizing").

I consider that participating in DOs is a personal benefit of the community and a chance to get together with friends and meet new friends, and not something you should "get" anything for.

Tenmoc and Bob Smolinsky like this.
  19. oliver2002
    Original Member

oliver2002 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well the MUC session deflated quickly... no one from the MP team showed up :(

20. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    My vote would maybe be some status points, but not a full rank of status for turning up. I personally would have attended the NYC one except I was out of town on a vacation planned before MP was even a thought.

I won't sit here and say just because I didn't get it you shouldn't either.

Just giving my opinion in that since there are only three talked about status levels, you're asking for a very lot for a very select few.

21. SeeYa
    Original Member

SeeYa Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like this idea. And as a disclaimer, I would stand to gain from it, as I attended the LAX session a few weeks ago.
    Having said that, I still believe that we gain as a community from face to face meetings, instead of only forming relationships from behind our keyboards. It also helps with the civility, to be able to put a face and name to that other "annoying" handle.