Gimli Glider anniversary

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by guinnessxyz, Jul 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Today is the 30th anniversary of the infamous Gimli glider landing in Manitoba. for those who do not about it Google is your friend.

There s a great documentary about on tonight's CBC The National

jbcarioca and mht_flyer like this.
  2. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Someone watching the taxpayer's network instead of being in Edmonton where he was expected!

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another in the long series about why airline pilots should have recent experience in light aircraft, in this spectacular case, gliders. What a wonderful outcome of a series of spectacular miscalculations!

YULtide likes this.
  4. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    As much of a miracle as US Air 1549 on the Hudson

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think both of them were more a demonstration of excellent piloting skills than they were miracles, but I am convinced they would have been miracles if they had had less capable crews. I suppose I am quibbling over definitions.

guinnessxyz and YULtide like this.
  6. I had a better gig in YMT that came up suddenly!!!

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. It appears that lessons learned from the Gimli glider were why the US Air plane was able to land so efficiently on the water.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Both Captains had glider ratings, and the US one had been an air accident investigator fir years. I suspect that the similarity of experience, I.e. glider flirting, had more to do with it than lessons learned directly. That said I'm also confident that Sullenberger studied the Gimli a glider quite carefully. I remember changing refueling procedures for flights between metric and Imperial countries soon after that event, for example, and I went off to train in gliders myself, just in case. Although I know such practices have not become the norm I hope they do.

YULtide likes this.
  9. I was actually quoting from the documentary on Gimli and I have no real understanding of the situations each found themselves in. You can possibly search CBC "The National" and find that piece. It was aired this past Monday.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I saw the piece. From numerous reports and critiques of the aftermath there were changes in metric/imperial fuelling procedures in an attempt to avoid translation errors. AFAIK there were no further incidents of that type, but soem could have happened and not been reported publicly also. In any event we all should admire that crew!

YULtide likes this.
  11. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Add to that story, the fact that the co-pilot knew the Gimli airfield.

YULtide and jbcarioca like this.
  12. There is a rumour that the millions of Manitoba mosquitos helped bring the plane to a stop as they were splattered on the windshield. :D

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    In fact, our mosquitos show up on radar...... :p

guinnessxyz, YULtide and jbcarioca like this.
  14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aha! It took 30 years to get the real story! It was not fuel outage but mosquito swarms that fried the engines. Formerly people thought only volcanic ash could do that. Should not the engine certification standards be modified to include ingesting a small-sized Manitoba mosquito swarm?;)

guinnessxyz, YULtide and milchap like this.