Gilt City deal, buy 3, 5, or 10 roundtrips (short, medium, long haul)

Discussion in 'Virgin America | Elevate' started by JohnDeere19, Aug 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    EDIT: 20% off (http://www.giltcity.com/invite/25595574ax9nd6v2hcx3)

http://www.giltcity.com/city/collection/national/virginamerica

Sample $1,270 for 10 shorthaul roundtrips

Includes:
    • Ten round-trip flights on all short haul routes. Please see "About" tab for all routes.
    • Seats in Main Cabin Select
    • Complimentary food and beverage
    • Five Elevate points for every $1 spent on your Gilt City purchase

This offer is valid only for nonstop or connecting travel on Virgin America flights; offer is not valid for any multi-city itineraries. Travel must occur between August 15, 2011 and June 15, 2012.

Blackout dates in 2011 are: September 2 and 5; November 25, 26, 27, and 28; December 16, 17, 23, 24, 26, and 30.

Blackout dates in 2012 are: January 2; February 17 and 20; and May 28.

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was almost fooled by this too, but it's completely mistaken. You can see that the line from NYC is red, hence that's considered a long-haul for them.

VX doesn't have any short-haul flights from JFK or BOS mostly because of the routes they fly (namely the ones you mentioned).

vx-short.png

If you want to see what they define as short-medium try LAX.

vx-long.png

Anything out of DFW for example is medium haul (SFO, LAX, etc) so it's definitely based on distance, but if you don't pay attention you might end up buying the package and then finding out it doesn't cover the routes you thought it did.

Caveat emptor. :)

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also, is it ten flights or ten round trips? The text in the OP and the thread title seem to contradict each other.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  4. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    10 rts, my mistake.

Oh man, that changes it for me...still could be a fair deal depending on what you're looking for. I guess the colors are what you should be looking at NOT the solid or dashed lines.

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The deal page itself shows "round trip" -- and keep in mind the price doesn't include taxes and fees, although you get 5 VX Elevate Points per dollar spent.

MaryDarling and JohnDeere19 like this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 3 trip package is good deal if you don't mind the blackouts and you want to use them as "anytime" vouchers to cover a VX flight on short notice -- so you don't get hammered by their last minute prices. Main Cabin Select from JFK to LAS is about $450, so 3 r/t trips doesn't really save you much.

When you look at the 10 r/t package then you're saving about $1k though.

7. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the key here is that the flight is basically priced like a regular main cabin seat (especially when getting a 10 pack) but you are actually sitting in the select section which has 6 more inches of leg room (or roughly equivalent to E+ on UA).

This deal is a very good consideration for an average size family to go on a trip or two or for anyone flying out of SFO to SEA, LAS, LAX or SAN.

Are you sure you're seeing Main Cabin Select for $450 for a roundtrip from JFK to LAS? For the last weekend in August, I'm seeing that it's $300+ just to go from LAX to SFO and that's with the instant upgrade to Main Cabin Select fare each way.

Also, there is a bonus where if you join Gilt City/Jetsetter, you'll get an extra 250 Elevate points as well as another 250 points after making your first purchase on Gilt City. Just another extra thrown into the mix.

8. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
  9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I take that back... seems like I was looking at the one-way price. :)

At that rate then it's a great deal, considering you're basically saving 50%.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  10. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Note that the 20% off is only valid for purchases up to $250. My assumption is that if you go over that (most definitely on this offer), they would provide 20% off the first $250 = $50 off. When you add this discount to the 3 pack of short haul flights vs the 10 pack of short haul flights, they are much closer to break-even in terms of cost per round trip ticket. ($125 vs $122)

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  11. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where do you see those terms?

12. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It looks like that may be true...wow, no mention of it on the referral page though.

13. druiddation
    Original Member

druiddation Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wasn't getting the 20% off to show up online so I called their customer service. It turned out that although I've never made a purchase with them, I had registered a long time ago and my 20% off first purchase had expired. They put me on hold for a couple minutes and then told me they would give me an exception and add the 20% off to my account. I logged out and back on and the 20% off showed up for my entire order. I bought the 3 long haul round-trip flights for $1205 with $241 off for a total of $964.

14. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad to hear it! It sounds like there's a 20% off that is restricted and one that may not be depending on the referral.

15. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a pretty good deal.

Now, are the discount codes transferable? That is, can I buy a 10-pack and then use it to buy 5 r/t flight for myself and 5 for Mrs. Legalalien? I see that you can only apply them to an 1-pax itineraries, but nothing about them being non-transferable.

16. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    The way I read it, it's true only for the referrer. The referee (?) gets 20% off the entire order.

SC Flier and JohnDeere19 like this.
  17. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    In regards to being transferable, the T&C's say: "Vouchers are transferable without notice to Gilt City or Vendor."

In regards to the 20% issue, perhaps I was looking at it just from the referrer's link. Assuming druiddation's experience holds true, 20% off the whole purchase is a great deal.

It turns out to be such a great deal, that all the short haul packages are now sold out and the 10 pack of long hauls are also sold out. :(

SC Flier, druiddation and JohnDeere19 like this.
  18. MaryDarling

MaryDarling Silver Member

Status Points:
    Because I know I need to be in DC several times this year, I went ahead and purchased a three pack of long-haul flights. I used a referral link and did get the $50 off, so my final price was $1150. Taxes are paid when you redeem the voucher, so if you redeem them soon, you may avoid some of the taxes.

At worst, it's about 20% off the best fare you can usually get for Main Cabin Select cross-country (Instant Upgrade to Main Cabin Select, SFO-NYC, runs about $520 in mid-September). At best, it could work out to be half-off, on a last-minute purchase.

Also, keep in mind that Virgin allows last-minute upgrades to first class for about $150 each way, so if you get lucky, you could have a first-class ticket RT for about $700.

I think Main Cabin Select is the nicest premium economy product out there, and well worth the investment. Of course, I'll be gunning for the FC upgrade....

I'll report back if anything negative happens with this purchase.

19. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    yikes i bought the 3 pack longhaul, didn't realize that taxes would be added later. oh well. peter

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  20. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    All long-haul and most short-haul packs are sold out now. :(

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  21. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No surprise...it is a pretty great deal!

druiddation likes this.
  22. mcqueenbee

mcqueenbee Member

Status Points:
    Hi, I'm new here & found this thread in regards to the Virgin America GiltCity sale. I purchased the 3, short haul package without fully reading the terms (in a hurry to get it before it sold out), when in fact I really needed the medium haul package. So, I am left with a 3 short haul flight codes that I cannot use, nor can I return. If anyone here is looking to purchase the codes, please let me know! Thank you!

viguera, SC Flier and JohnDeere19 like this.
  23. druiddation
    Original Member

druiddation Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just booked my first trip. Something with the promo code doesn't allow you to select a seat when making the reservation. However, after you've completed the reservation and get your confirmation code you can go to 'Manage Travel' and then 'View Itinerary' and then you'll be able to select a seat.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  24. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was a bit confused by this as well, did you contact Gilt to see if you can get a full refund? If not, then maybe dispute with your CC company.

Awesome, glad to hear it worked out!

25. mcqueenbee

mcqueenbee Member

Status Points:
    I did contact both Gilt and Virgin. I contacted Gilt twice - Both responses were 'all sales were final' because I already had the flight codes. When I called Virgin (twice as well), 2 representatives & a manager couldn't offer me any help since the voucher couldn't be redeemed any other way. As for disputing it with the CC company, there's really nothing for me to dispute since it was my mistake to begin with.

JohnDeere19 likes this.