GIG Rio de Janeiro galeão Master Thread

Discussion in 'GRU/GIG/BSB | Brazil Regional Airports' started by jbcarioca, Apr 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    GIG is the second largest airport in Brazil. The basic facilties are:

Terminal 1 full service Bank Branches, all located on the third floor:
    Banco do Brasil
    Caixa Economica
    Unibanco

ATMs:
    Terminal 1 - Banco do Brazil, Caixa Economica, Unibanco, HSBC, Itaú, Real, Bradesco and 24 horas (ATM shared between numerous banks)

Terminal 2 - Bank of Brazil, HSBC, Itaú, Bradesco and Real

Foreign Exchange:

Terminal 1
    Banco do Brasil
    Banco Safra (immediately following immigration control before baggage claim)
    Terminal 2
    American Express
    Banco Safra (after baggage claim, opposite the taxi kiosks)

Hotels inside Terminal 1

Hotel Luxor (4 estrelas): terminal I, third floor - (21) 2468-8998 http://www.luxorhoteis.com.br/us/hotel-rio-de-janeiro/index.php
    - Pousada do Galeão - (21) 3398-3848/3852/3853/3854 (no website, not very attractive place)

Gaucho likes this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Terminal 1 is in the foreground which houses most non-Star Alliance international carriers. Terminal 2 is now undergoing major expansion, not visible here, and houses Star Alliance carriers and some non-allied domestic carriers.
    Galeao1.jpg

Gaucho likes this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    From Airport Hotel Guru:

Luxor Aeroporto Hotel : http://www.luxorhoteis.com.br/us/hotel-rio-de-janeiro/index.php
    [​IMG]
    There’s little remarkable about the Luxor Aeroporto Hotel except for it’s convenient location on the third floor of Terminal 1 inside the airport. There’s little to really complain about either — the Luxor’s beds are comfortable enough, the rooms are clean enough, the lobby bar is decent enough. We would have liked a swimming pool though there is a gym (which could also be described as “decent”). Most rooms have internet for a fee, but not all. Request an internet room if that’s important to you.
    Hotel Pousada Galeao
    The location of the Hotel Pousada, on the ground floor inside the airport’s Terminal 1, is very desirable. The hotel itself is very much not. The rooms are sad and small. There’s no internet and little in the way of other amenities. And since the Pousada’s rates average only $10~$20 less than the Luxor Hotel there’s no reason to stay here as opposed to our best airport hotel choice, reviewed above. If you insist, you’ll have to call the hotel to make reservations at +55 (021) 3398 3852 — as far as we can determine the Hotel Pousada has no website and is not bookable online.
    People who have stayed at the Pousada say it is clean and quiet, but do not expect anything else.

Gaucho likes this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    There has been a long litany of complaints about GIG, but few compliments. This is an elated comment.

While flying from MIA to GIG we were informed by an FA (who BTW recognized me from flights to TYO, CDG and GIG over the last twenty-five years) that there was no longer any requirement for a Customs form required to enter Brazil if you have nothing to declare. That is not the only change if today is any indication!

This morning I arrived at GIG at 11:28 on a very delayed AA2691 in the midst of a number of other international arrivals. My spouse and I were in a taxi leaving the airport with our three heavy bags at 11:48! If I had not actually timed this I would not believe it.:D ia not quite good enough to describe our feelings.

This is what happened:

We were the first two people off the airplane and there were no Brazilians in the immigration queue before us, so we were out in less than a minute (There was a queue for non-Brazilians but it was going faster than it ever has done before in my experience)

We picked up two baggage carts and settled in at the carousel and began our usual vigil for the first bags to come out. Another Carioca, accustomed to the normal experience, was sitting on the carousel perusing his emails. Within three minutes there were at least twenty passengers waiting patiently. Our astonishment was such that there was a collective audible gasp (no joke!) when the belt started, discomfiting the erstwhile emailer and bags immediately came out.

Our three bags were on our trolleys and we were wending our way to the usual interminable Customs queue only five minutes after our arrival at the gate! We were quite unprepared for this and were looking at each other quite confused so we were almost on autopilot. Another surprise!! There was zero Customs queue, and no questions. People were just waved on in a manner quite similar to that of the typical EU entry. There were hundreds of people arrived as we went through, but zero delays. I did see one person being pulled aside for inspection as we zipped though Customs.

The usual crowd of onlookers and taxi touts were also subdued, so we had no problem immediately getting a Yellow Cab.

So...Will this be the new typical experience at GIG? I have no idea. It is quite obvious that there have been major changes and those have been good changes. I hope this will be the new standard, but I am just grateful for this single wonderful experience at my home airport.:D

Gaucho and OY-JFS like this.
  5. qfrodo

qfrodo Active Member

Status Points:
    I've gone through Customs twice at GIG since the beginning of the year. First time waved through, Second time they ran my bags through new scanners that they have installed. Even doing that it didn't take very long.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have now gone through five times since the January reformations. I have not yet been stopped nor have I waited. BTW, my bags have arrived very quickly also. I hesitate to report this because so much could go wrong. Sor far the improvement has been astonishing. As a further note I have been carrying an obvious case of wine on each of these arrivals and drawn nary a glace from customs.

Gaucho likes this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yesterday AM I arrived at GIG on AA973, a half hour early at 08:00. I had my usual checked bags with my usual case of wine. Following immigration I strolled to the luggage belt to wait for my bags. To my total astonishment they were already waiting for me. There was nobody in the Customs queue and the officer asked me where I was coming from as I passed by. I took the elevator to departures to take a Yellow cab (going to departures is always much faster than going to arrivals). At 08:09 I was in the taxi leaving the airport grounds!:D

Such a joyous event may not soon happen again.

Gaucho likes this.
  8. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    JC..... I will be in transit through GIG for about 2 hours, Im coming in from EZE on route to Salvador. Both in coming and continuation flights are TAM. Since my connection is domestic, will I have to change terminals... and what is the lounge situation...? I have a Priority Pass Membership and also a Amex Gold which is sometimes good for lounge access... plus a couple of MasterCard Black cards, that have also served me for getting into lounges before.

Wondering if I will have a decent place to park the wife, kids and I while I wait for my flight...???

Cheers,
    Alex

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    TAM is in Terminal 2, both international and domestic. If my information is correct you have three choices with Priority Pass, TAM, Smiles and AAdmirals Club. All three are right beside each otehr on the lower level. TAM is small but has the nicest ambience and snacks, plus a piano. It is just beyond the snack bar. Just before it is the Smiles lounge. It is spacious and usually not full, but hasn't much else to recommend it. The temporary AAdmirals Club is within the Smiles club, turn left as you enter the door and you'll find another door for the AAdmirals Club. It is pleasant when it is not busy, which it will not be when you arrive.

When are you coming?
    Cheers,
    JC

Gaucho likes this.
  10. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amazing... thanks JC. This confirms my idea that GIG is a lot better then GRU. It good to know I will be able to put my priority pass cards to use. What about operating hours for these lounges, pretty ample I assume...?

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also... after reading your great Coffee thread, I want to bring back some Coffee beans from Brazil. Do you think there is a chance I could get one of the organic brands you mention at some store at GIG...? Dont mind if I have to exit the sterile area to get it. Thanks !!

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have a Conversation.

Gaucho likes this.