GIG Labor Day DO

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by colpuck, Feb 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well with the MCO-GIG fares it seems a lot of us are going.

In
    Colpuck
    Mackiman
    Mrsmackie
    ALCO
    Teh Otter One
    Genemk2
    Au4882
    Wandering Aramean
    jetsetr

AFAIK the main activity will be drinking, but there will be sometime for other things.
    Post your flights, Hotels, and choice of activities here.

icurhere2 and jbcarioca like this.
  2. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reserved for flights and hotels.

Flights

Please enter your information on this here spreadsheet
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuL3bZ3PwbctdFFJQ3d1UzdrenQxb1dKSUlLT3gtTEE&usp=sharing

Colpuck, MCO-IAH-GIG-IAH-MCO, Arrive on the 31st, depart on the 1st. Staying at the Marcia Bed and Breakfast, near Copa Beach.
    Jetsetr, 31-1
    Genemk2, 31-1
    Mackiman, Mrs Mackie., 30th-2nd

Hotels

A quick look on Kayak.com showed the following
    Two Sheratons
    One JW Marriott (and a Ritz if you're into that sort of thing)
    One Sofitel
    One Novotel

No Hyatts
    No Hiltons
    No IHG properties

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reserved for stuff we want to do while not hungover.

Current exchange rate is about 2 Reals to 1 US Dollar

Christ the redeemer is about 23.00 dollars
    http://www.corcovado.com.br/ingles/info.html

Dinner on the 31st, somewhere.
    NY Times, recomends
    Porcao's churrascaria
    http://www.porcao.com.br/
    It looks like its about $50.00 for the buffet

colpuck
    Jetsetr
    Dig_r1k

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Christ the redeemer is more fun via helitour from the middle level station on the Sugarloaf ascent. More that $23, too, but still an awesome experience. I'd do it again.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ygor, jbcarioca, unavaca and 2 others like this.
  5. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would do this too. Are you coming, Seth?

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca likes this.
  7. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty sure he is based on this post.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sadly I missed the fare, looks to be gone. Would like to go to GIG sometime.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cool, was just double checking...wasn't listed in the OP.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haz updated it.

jbcarioca and genemk2 like this.
  11. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm in too

jbcarioca and desamo like this.
  12. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca likes this.
  13. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given the :eek: hotel prices, I would be interested in exploring a vacation rental. There are some listed on vrbo that are mindblowing and not terribly expensive if we had a decent sized group.

genemk2 and jbcarioca like this.
  14. CGK
    Original Member

CGK Gold Member

Status Points:
    How expensive are hotels that weekend?

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not a direct answer to your question, but hotels are always relatively expensive in GIG, IME, especially along Ipanema Beach (which is less sleazy and more safe than Copacabana Beach, again, IMHO). It's not a cheap city for lodging.

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to join too, but I'll just stay here at home. If anybody wants to know a residents perspective send me a Conversation or ask here.

The two Sheraton's: One is called Sheraton Leblon but is actually next to a favela and is not safe for walking to Leblon. As a property it is becoming quite tired.
    The other one Sheraton Barra, is in Barra di Tijuca, the fastest growing suburb and the locus for most World Cup and Olympics activities. It is a bit of a drive.
    The J W Marriott is small but is on Posto 6 in Copacabana and is in a great location close to everything.
    The Sofitel is very close to the Sheraton and has one of the finest French restaurants to be found, Le Pre Catalan.

The Copcabana Palace is newly renovated and the Fasano is the chicest of chic. There are lots more options, but the Hyatt will not open until late next year and there's no Hilton either, as you already know.

There are some very interesting historical options including the Mosterio Sao Bento, established in the late 1500's, and a circle of Forts built around Guanabara Bay in the 17th century to protect Rio de Janeiro.

There is also the world's largest forest contained in a city limits, Floresta di Tijuca.

Of course there are endless beaches, bars, restaurants, superb pizza (including one the chef of the President of France called the best pizza in the world), gret nightlife in several areas. There is hang gliding, helicopter tours, Segway tours.

You can bring a case of wine duty free, or six litres of booze. Bringing some is always good because prices are not cheap here.
    The Real has been getting stronger in the last few weeks and is now roughly 1.95 R$ (Reais) to US$1. The best rates are with an fx fee free credit card or ATM withdrawals. ATMs are always better than banks.

17. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to argue, but Copacabana and Ipanema have similar crime rates. My brother-in-law lives in Ipanema, my mother-in-law lives in Copacabana. I know both of them very well.

Ipanema is generally more expensive than Copacabana but the Copcabana Palace, the J W Marriott, the Sofitel are all in Copacabana and are not in the slightest bit sleazy nor are their areas. The Fasano is located in Arpoador between Ipanema and Copacabana, nothing sleazy there.

There are few very nice hotels in Ipanema, but lots of mid-priced ones. Frankly you will not be unhappy in Ipanema, Copacabana or Leblon. the largest concentration of restaurants is on Rua Dias Ferrera in Leblon but there are copious choices in all three bairros.

Barra di Tijuca is much more suburban but is also growing fast and has lots of options too. Santa Teresa is a slightly bohemian area above central Rio de Janeiro that has nice boutique hotels and good access to everywhere, it has a bonde (streetcar) also and is close to Lapa, the center of bohemian nightlife.

Hotels are always expensive but with confirmed dates you can often get good deals. Service apartments are also very popular. If any of you are interested in a particular place I can get photos and a description of the area.

18. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're a local, JB, so obviously I defer to your knowledge. It's just been my tourist experience that Ipanema and Leblon are, IMHO, "less" sketchy than Copacabana, especially at night. But this is subjective.

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. CGK
    Original Member

CGK Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been to GIG several times during the past four years or so. I've stayed at the Sheraton near Leblon, the Sheraton Barra (outside the city), and the JW Marriott. I think the most I paid was about $170/night at the JW.

So I guess it depends on what the definition of expensive is. Which is why I was wondering what Mackieman considered expensive for that weekend.

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca likes this.
  21. CGK
    Original Member

CGK Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've walked to Leblon many times from the Sheraton Leblon and haven't had a problem with safety. That said, the hotel is a bit tired now. I'd rather stay at the JW or Sofitel if I were to pick a major chain hotel in the city now. I'd stay at the Fasano over both of those, but it is really expensive.

radonc1951, jbcarioca and genemk2 like this.
  22. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Man, if I were staying 3 nights, I would be tempted with the first one -- but 3 night minimum stay would kill it on pricing (comes with two maid and a translator??!)

I just checked the JW and they are asking $330 at the best rate. I'm down for whatever. I can sleep just as easily on a couch, though I've heard that A/C is a must.

jbcarioca likes this.
  23. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you live in Rio? Come hang out!

jbcarioca likes this.
  24. CGK
    Original Member

CGK Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're going for one night, I would spend $300 or so for the JW or Sofitel. Two nights at those rates gets a bit expensive. The two Sheratons are over $300/night each night you guys are there. Looks like hotel rates have gone up quite a bit since last time I was there.

There are many good, but non-major brand, hotels in Ipanema, Leblon, and Copacabana that are well located and cost less than $300/night. I would look into those if you are staying more than one night and want to spend less than $300/night.

jbcarioca and genemk2 like this.
  25. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    That first one is over 1200 Euro per night, so no way it can be cost effective. The second one has potential though, depending on the size of the beds.

I also located this one: http://www.vrbo.com/340025

Wouldn't it be nice to have the entire roof of a building to ourselves? And if we had all six bedrooms filled, at $1000USD per night, that's only $166 per room per night, far cheaper than the name brand hotels. But that depends entirely upon what everyone wants to do. Apparently you can split that into two different rentals (one with three bedrooms, one with four) if we have a smaller group interested.