GIG exit information

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by jbcarioca, Apr 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Several people have mentioned difficulty in getting FX and taxis at GIG. Thus I post here two photos that I took this morning.

Immediately after exiting customs this is what you will see. These four kiosks are for the authorized 'special' taxis that are prepaid and will take you anywhere, but cost 80% more than the yellow taxi fare. They do offer peace of mind and no question about price.
    IMG_2515.jpg

Once you have found the spcial taxis, you turn your head 180 degrees and see this:
    IMG_2514.jpg

Banco Safra is the only authorized FX agent within the secure area of GIG.

If you are entering from Terminal 1 the Banco Safra is located immediately after immigration and before customs. It is the only thing visible as you leave immigration. The Terminal 1 special taxis are also just after customs and look almost identical to those in Terminal 2.

The next time I fly in to T1 I will take photos of that one also.

sobore and IndyDavid like this.
  2. IndyDavid
    Original Member

IndyDavid Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for these great pictures! What about an ATM?

milchap and jbcarioca like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oops. :oops: I forgot. Each terminal has ATM's in multiple locations.

For T1 there are several bank branches and ATM's on the Third floor as you near the food court. There is also a post office and mini-office services places too.

For T2, I have forgotten where they are. Next ime I am there I will take photos and post them.

BTW, many ATM's all over Brazil accept foreign cards. All HSBC and Citibank branches do, many Bradesco, Santander and Itau ones do. There is a large network called "Banco 24 horas" that accesses multiple banks. Foreign ATM cards seem to work at all of those.

sobore and milchap like this.
  4. OY-JFS
    Original Member

OY-JFS Gold Member

Status Points:
    Citibank charges you a R$12 fee for foreign cc withdrawals. No fees at HSBC and Banco do Brasil. Not sure about the other ones.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good information. After i read your post I asked about Bradesco, who apparently also charge a fee. I do not yet have information about Itau or Santander.