Gifts you can give for those who live far away

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by taiwaned, Apr 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    We live overseas. Far far away from home. We have close friends and family now living all over the world and it is impossible for us to give gifts and mailing gifts is not as easy as one thinks.

Especially from China, we find if we ship a gift, there is customs, duty, inspection, freight and all the other things to worry about so we end up buying gifts online. Usually gift baskets or tickets to special events, we have tried beer of the month club, fruit of the month club. We are running out of ideas.

Can anybody help? Do you have any sites you can recomend that can ship out gifts that are more than the general crap we end up ordering?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use Amazon for those countries that they serve well. For France I tend to use domestic sites, if you need some I have a few. I do agree with you that it is a significant issue. I end out doing things that are fairly impersonal because there really is no choice.

JennB and Horse like this.
  3. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wouldn't Kiva be a logical choice for a personal, thoughtful gift?;)

4. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also tend to just order things locally to where they are being sent. Let someone else ship it ;)