Gifts for the FAs??

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by jmrich1432, Jul 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's a small thread on FT about this http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trav...candy-gifts-fa-purser-flight-crew-thread.html and I recently read a blog post on The Flying Pinto about "The Flight Attendant's Favorite Passenger" http://www.theflyingpinto.com/2011/07/the-flight-attendants-favorite-passenger.html Got me wondering, how many of you bring gifts for the FAs?

Do you only bring gifts with you on long-haul or international? What about if you're in J vs Y?

How do you give the FAs the gift? Do you do it before takeoff or wait until you're in the air?

I've always thought this seemed like a nice thing to do, but I have no idea what is appropriate or how to go about it. Do FAs on different airlines respond differently?

Thanks for your input!

techauthor, rwoman and goodandclassy like this.
  2. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Count me among those who often carry something in my carry-on. For international, I usually follow Goalie's tradition of Tootsie Pops, either tied with a ribbon or in a amenity bag. Often give it to them during meal service, but if not, make a special trip to the galley to give them and say it's a thank you for their service and wonderful attitude :D. Funny how much of both I receive in return.

Sometimes, on the return, will use wrapped chocolates instead, but that's harder to carry. I also sometimes bring gifts for transcons or midcons when it's a longer route - depends on my mood (and if I have any handy at home when I'm packing).

They all work so hard, get so little appreciation, I just like to give a little thank you when I can. Nothing expected in return, but if it lifts their day a bit, that's all I need to be fully satisfied.

3. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tootsie Pops sound like a good option! They are easy to carry and store, I would worry about the chocolates melting. Thank you for the tips on how to give them, I just wasn't sure when the right time would be to hand them out!

I doubt I will be taking any long flights before December, but I will definitely be trying this when I am in Z to Australia for xmas. Maybe I will add a little green and red for the holidays!

BurBunny likes this.
  4. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I do chocolates, I usually purchase them in the airport (or just before depending on where I am) for the return flight, so no melting fears.

Last year for holiday flights I brought "bouquets" of candy canes instead of the Tootsie Pops. Judging by their breath the rest of the flights, the FAs enjoyed them :D

jmrich1432 likes this.
  5. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That sounds adorable! Did you make the bouquets or buy them?? I love the idea of giving gifts to the FAs, especially something festive during the holidays! Your suggestions are awesome, I really appreciate the insight!

6. BWIflyer
    Original Member

BWIflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anybody give cash tip to the FA, like it is done in a restaurant. Personally I feel it may be offensive.

7. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Made them. Bought the individually wrapped candy canes at the store (sometimes tough to find), wrap the bases together with ribbon several times, slightly staggering the height to give it the appearance of a bouquet. The idea came from the way I bundle the tootsie pops. I'm not particularly crafty, but liked the way it came out. Toughest was keeping it in good order in my carry-on. Tootsie pops are much more durable - be warned.

I believe its against many lines' policy for them to accept cash tips. They are professionals, highly trained. That's why I like the little gifts, showing a bit of thought and effort. Far more than the gift itself, the fact you took the time and made the effort to do something in advance shows your appreciation and you value them. These days, that's everything.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  8. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    At Christmas or New Year's, I'll get $3-5 Starbucks gift cards and give them out. It adds $30-50 to a TATL trip, but I think the FA's do put up with a lot of garbage at times...and they've always been very grateful. I've generally had good service (J and Y) TATL with DL, and often see some of the same FA's - always nice to give them a little thank you! :) I'll also occasionally carry them to give to a specific FA as a thank you, especially when I've run out of certificates for a Job Well Done.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  9. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I have $5 Starbucks gift cards for the crew, captain, and first officer for our flights this holiday season. Would it be appropriate to put them in a card to hand to the crew or to just give the bare cards to them. My wife is worried about handing them something in an envelope "in this day and age" Thoughts?

10. viAAjero

viAAjero Active Member

Status Points:
    When I'm flying out of my home airport (SFO), I'll usually grab a $10 gift box of individually wrapped Ghirardelli chocolates for the FAs. I like to take it to the galley after takeoff and try not to go about too conspicuously.

I try to do this each time I fly on a transcon or am connecting to an intl flight, in J or F.

11. viAAjero

viAAjero Active Member

Status Points:
    IMHO, if the envelope is unsealed and says something on the outside along the lines of "Thanks", "For Your Service" etc, there shouldn't be a problem. YMMV.

12. daboogah

daboogah Silver Member

Status Points:
    when my girlfriend gets candy and stuff, they accept it but most of the times they have to throw it away even if it came fro ma sealed box. just policy. she has gotten cash before and if it is the start of the trip, they generally all go for meals so she will throw that cash in for part of the tip. when she gets gifts or gift cards, we usually use it when we are back in the US. But most of the times, she gets origami stuff from kids and once a creepy while, bouquets from older dudes. As far as foods and snacks, jus remember that most of the FA's (CA's) on Japanese carriers will be gracious but just have to dump it. There was a case a while ago (when she first started) when a CA got sick eating some kind of candy from someone and the company put a big stop to it. Not to say they throw everything away. But they've been taught it aint worth getting sick over.