Gifts for crew on TPAC/TATL

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by bucketlist, Feb 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. bucketlist
    Original Member

bucketlist Silver Member

Status Points:
    When we go on a long flight, especially at some times of the year, we've brought something from home for the crew. On our trip MSY-iad-FCO, we brought king cake and some mardi gras beads - we happened to be go on Jan 6th/7th. Coming back, some chocolates and a few more beads.

This costs almost nothing (king cake from Rouse's is excellent and $5.99 and for us beads are more a disposal problem than anything else).

We've never expected anything in return - it was intended, and I hope received as a gesture of goodwill and appreciation for the (generally) hard working crew.

Would appreciate hearing your views on this practice - giving something small, but related to your hometown to crew on flights. At times, my SO has felt uncomfortable, but I think its worth doing.

(Would like to send some Mardi Gras loot to the HNL IK call center - those folks are great, when I can get them. If anybody is local there and can make good use of a middle size flat rate box of beads, please send a pm.)

Would write more, but Allah starts in one hour, time to start drinking and get more beads.

8MiHi, Flyer1976, jupper and 2 others like this.
  2. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    Crews always appreciate gifts. Food is always a good choice.

8MiHi, Flyer1976 and seaflyguy like this.
  3. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been told by those in the know that, for what are obvious (but depressing) reasons, one should always go with something sealed. So no picking up a dozen Frost or Top Pot donuts here in Seattle.

I slacked off on this last holiday season but am hoping to resume it late this year. I think it's a nice touch.

4. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is true. I know one flight attendant that gifts his gate agents with Starbucks gift cards during the holidays. It's amazing what a $5 gift card does to one's moral.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  5. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's very nice of you to gift someone for doing their job...I wish that happened at my employer!

6. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Usually when we fly my wife brings along Starbucks VIA packets and gift cards to give to the crew. When I flew for business I didn't bother, mainly because I would have gone broke!

7. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I have $5 Starbucks gift cards for the crew, captain, and first officer for our flights this holiday season. Would it be appropriate to put them in a card to hand to the crew or to just give the bare cards to them. My wife is worried about handing them something in an envelope "in this day and age" Thoughts?

8. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm... I'm considering it too, but my next flight is ORD-HKG on a 744. How many cards do I need?

9. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    You'll want Tsingtao cards for that trip.

rggale and legalalien like this.
  10. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    The question remains...how many?

11. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe 16-18. For ORD-HKG there would be 2 pilots, 2 bunkies, then I think the 747 is staffed to 12 in the cabin, could be 14 though. Not positive, might be mixing up with the 777. Not so long ago, the 747 was staffed with 18 F/A's...

18 would be a safe bet.

12. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    A few years ago, we Air Canada frequent flyers had a campaign "chocolates for the crew".
    It was amazing what it did for crew morale.
    I also made certain gate and checkin staff were included when I flew.

13. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did it increase your upgrade success rate? ;)

14. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had already been ugraded.

15. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since I am in the UC in CLE so often, I give each staff member (including bartenders) a $10 Starbucks Gift Card for the holidays. This is a minimal expense given the amount of time I am on the premises and all the times they help me when things go FUBAR.

desamo, Flyer1976, sfogate and 3 others like this.
  16. paladinua

paladinua Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Mrs. and I have tried to do that on TATL and TPACs too... We usually go with candy or chocolate. Haven't went the gift card route... is that received better?

17. Biggles209
    Original Member

Biggles209 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Back in the Good Old Days, I used to give both Missy and AC of the SEA 1K Room a bottle of champagne every Christmas. They would do things for us that, I am sure, would have got them fired if head office had found out. I've never thought of gifts for the crew, though. I like the idea of gift cards for the especially attentive flight attendant, or the captain that turns on Channel 9 just because I asked.

18. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Money in any form is never badly received. I find that the advantage with a Starbucks card is that most people can find something that they like at a Starbucks. If they do not drink coffee, there are cookies and pastries, as well as tea and hot chocolate. The cards are also easy to obtain from a local supermarket or department store.

I guess if they had some moral objection to Starbucks, they could trade the card.

19. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't tried chocolates or candy, but the cards I distributed last year were a smashing success. The crew of my ORD-HKG flight (in Y) refused to add cream to my coffee... insisting on Bailey's instead. :) They also sent me off with a couple mini bottles of Glenlivet 12.

Ygor, Flyer1976 and Sunshine7 like this.
  20. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Both flight crews I gave the cards to recently were quite taken back and very very appreciative. I was able to write a small note on the back of the 5-gift card pack to alleviate any security concerns from an envelope. I know it brightened their holiday season and I hope it gives them a boost that there are people out there that appreciate what they do.

legalalien likes this.
  21. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the past, I would buy chocolates in the airport with remaining currency and the crew always seemed appreciative.

This week I flew out of IAH B terminal. The flight leaving from the next gate had many, many issues but the GA was upbeat throughout. After the flight was completed I walked over and handed her a Starbucks card. She came around the podium and gave me a hug. I can't tell you what a wonderful feeling that was for me ! So happy that I had done that.