Gifting status?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Handleman20, Nov 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Handleman20

Handleman20 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've noticed that one of the possible benefits for a Platinum water buffalo is the ability to bestow Gold status on one of the great unwashed masses of the non-Medallion horde. How exactly does that work and does anyone see any negative effects possibly arising from such a thing? Mainly I'm worried about possibly screwing up potential status gains in the following year (i.e., if you hit Gold on your own does it change from 'gift' to 'you earned it' / do you have to earn your way up from 0 / etc.).

Any thoughts?

2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure how it affects future status, but PM's can only gift Silver Medallion status to a non-status person. DM can gift GM...

Once gifted, the person has to either earn it to maintain status or have it gifted to them again - I believe it has to happen after status expires (28/29 Feb)

3. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any MQM's earned in the year that one receives gift status below the status level will not add to their status... they start at 0 MQM's but just fly with the Silver or Gold status. They only get to rollover the MQM's that they earn beyond their current status. Thus, a gifted Gold needs to earn > 50K MQM in the gift year in order to roll any of those miles > 50K over to the following year.

In future periods, they still have to re-earn the status on their own just like everyone else.

4. Handleman20

Status Points:
    Oof, so if I get gifted GM and then earn 49k miles I will reset to 0 at the end of the time? Ack!

5. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, for the calendar year in which you receive the status.... which is why it's best to receive the gifted status in the 2nd half of the year.... because the status would then count for the remainder of that year, through the next year and expire in Feb of the 2nd year thereafter. Example: I was gifted GM in July 2011 and will keep this status through Feb 2013.

This would give you a half year with no pressure to enjoy GM and then an entire year to earn or exceed GM again for the following year.

6. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is not quite entirely accurate - the length of validity depends upon the qualifying year when the medallion earned the choice.

A medallion choice status gift earned from flying in 2010 (which some may not have redeemed yet) is valid until February 2012. The medallion choice gift status earned from flying this year (in 2011, or rollover from last year ;) ) is valid until February 2013. I gave the SO the option that provided almost two years of status.

7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is quite a reasonable requirement, and as long as you understand what you are getting it should not be an issue. You're being gifted status, not MQMs. You are not losing anything.

If you weren't gifted anything, you would spend half of your flying with no status (assuming you have none) and the other half with silver, and either be able to roll over 24k or fly a bit more to gold.

8. Handleman20

Status Points:
    Excellent point.