Gifting status...when to do it?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by chef4u, Feb 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am currently Silver Medallion and will be losing my status at the end of the month. My sister is Platinum and from what I understand can gift me Silver. Should this be done before March 1 or after?

2. BAppelt
    Original Member

BAppelt Gold Member

Status Points:
    She should wait until March 1st. Otherwise the system will tell her that you already have that status.

3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    March 1 or as soon after as possible. She can't gift it to you until you no longer have any status.
    Note that her gift for her 2010 PM status has to be used before Feb. 28 of this year. Her gift for her 2011 status can be used any time up to Feb. 29 of 2012.

So, if she's trying to use her 2010 medallion benefit to gift you silver, there is a conundrum, and I don't know if there is a workaround. Make sure she understands this.

4. Bikeguy
    Original Member

Bikeguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Couldn't the OP generate a new Delta account and get the status gifted to the new account. Then, combine the accounts after March 1. Not sure if anyone has experience doing something like this.

5. DYKWIA
    Original Member

DYKWIA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Isn't the system smart enough that if you gift status to someone who is already silver it simply extends it for another year? That's the way nwa.com worked for gifting to my mom.

Gargoyle likes this.
  6. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    No, the system doesn't allow that. [​IMG]

7. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm fine with someone gifting me status any time now. PM me for my skymiles #

Tenmoc likes this.