Gifting points

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Terry Quinn, May 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I can't find anything on the subject here.

How does one gift points stays at any IC brand hotels. When I try to book it only comes up in my name and does not seem to allow another name to be input.
    Any help is appreciated!!

Tim O'Brien and miles and smiles like this.
  2. unclepants
    Original Member

unclepants Silver Member

Status Points:
    Make the reservation for two guests and enter the name of your family member in as an additional guest. I also typically add a comment that "[family member] will check in."

3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    And of course you can always call. This isn't an otherwise easy trick with Starwood (have to call), Hilton (there's a workaround but otherwise have to call) either.

Perfectly permissable to gift award stays with your points, they just don't set up the process online clearly in order to do so.

4. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct-I booked a room fro goalie-parents at the I/C in Boston* and when I looked at the confirmation e-mail and the reservation on-line, I called and the rep said all was fine as that's how their system does it. End result was they checked in with no issues.

*goalie-dad to me: "don't waste your points and save them for something for you.
    Me to goalie-dad: "that's what points are for an besides, It's the InterContinental, you'll really like the room ;)
    goalie-dad: Ok, but don't use all your points
    me to goalie-dad: Don't worry, i won't ;)
    <fast forward 3 weeks>
    goalie-dad and goalie-mom to me after checking in: "The room is amazing!"

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    It sure beats the craziness of trying to actually GIFT points to someone else's account.

6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Title aside, the question was - I think - about gifitng point (ie award) stays. :)

7. That's right.

Thank you all for the answers.

8. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the same way you can make a reservation for a family member, that's not a Priority club member, and most times get the points and credit for the stay. On occasion however the front desk will change the reservation to their name but most times it works with no problem.