Gifting of status and its expiry

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by chef4u, May 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    I understand that Platinum members can gift Silver status. If this status is gifted in June, does it expire Feb 2012, or will it go until Feb 2013?

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you just make PM this year (2011), then it will expire February 28th, 2013. If it is last years (2010), then it expires February 29th, 2012

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never done this but it's been reported that the expiration date depends on which program year's benefits are being used. If you've just made PM for the first time, you should have one choice benefit selection for two separate program years. My understanding is that using the second (later) benefit will make the status last longer.

However, if you do this, be careful that you don't postpone making the other (first, earlier) choice and let it expire. Also, if you pick SWUs for the other choice, be aware than they expire a year after being selected, regardless of when the choice was earned.

4. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    From an email I received Friday (I already chose my award almost a year ago) and I won't be PM for 2012 until the end of the month.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It looks to me like waiting until the end of the month will extend the FO status by a year. Be aware that it's usually possible to select choice benefits as soon as they're earned; you don't need to wait to receive an email inviting you to pick but rather, just try logging in and doing it as soon as delta.dumb has recorded the necessary MQMs.

rwoman and DeltaExpert like this.
  6. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    The gifted status should expire when the earned status expires.

USAF_Pride likes this.