gifting miles

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by orchidjulia, Mar 7, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. orchidjulia

orchidjulia New Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone figured out if it is worthwhile gifting miles? What is the advantage as opposed to just giving the person an airline ticket?

uggboy likes this.
  2. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, the reason I've done it is to move the points from my wife's account to mine or vice-versa. Its sometimes a lot easier to have one big pool of points rather than two smaller amounts. Maybe you need 50k points to book a ticket and each of you only has 25K, etc.

I assume in general it is NOT a good idea since they almost always charge more than you should pay to move the miles between accounts. Of course there are programs that allow you to transfer miles between accounts for free (SPG, Ultimate Rewards) and those where they have family plans that sum up all the points (British Airways).

In general I'd say the only time you should consider transferring miles between accounts is a) a small amount to top up somebody's account to get to an award amount needed, or b) when there's a crazy good special deal going on. I did one last summer with US Air when they were running a 100% bonus on the transferred miles. Even then it was a bit marginal. But as always YMMV.

satman40 likes this.
  3. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife is Chinese, we just give her relation the tickets to come over here,

Some of them attend schools in England, so they travel more than we do,

Most of my miles are given away, and I think it is worthwhile...

Gargoyle and gconnery like this.
  4. Troy Miles

Troy Miles Member

Status Points:
    I fly for the sole purpose of accumulating airline miles as inexpensively as possible. And giving miles as a gift is another best option option to make use of them. There are lots of benefits to mileage running beyond the redeemable miles you earn. For example, at United I earn system wide upgrades, confirmed regional upgrades, unlimited domestic upgrades, elite qualifying miles, lounge access, and lots of other perks for my travels. At the same time, the end goal for me is to earn redeemable miles that I can use for award travel. While I wouldn’t earn all those benefits if I were just buying miles, I would be saving a lot of time, which I should put a value to as well. Then again, unlike most people, I actually enjoy flying.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is rarely a good value to transfer points out of an account once they are earnt. There are exceptions but they are few and far between.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  6. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    What WA said. Monetarily, it's usually a bad deal (the USAir 100% gifting deal is a rare exception). It usually makes more sense to book the ticket outright for the person.

Wandering Aramean and gconnery like this.