Gift/souvenir ideas by country/region

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by FlyingBear, Oct 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    As part of my travels, I typically try to bring something from every country/city I visit to remember it by and on occasion, a gift for friends that is representative of what I visited. The challenge sometimes is to get something unique (better than magnet or Eiffel tower key chain) and that is easily associated with the country or a region of the country. For example, I typically bring some of the weirder licorice candy from Sweden, matryoshka or furry hat from Russia and being from Arizona, a scorpion in a box is more or less a must.

So, the question: are there sites/lists that have some gift/souvenir ideas by country to make the shopping list easier? Some countries are obviously easy (Russia) while others might not be quite so obvious, at least to me. I am still not sure what to get in Spain besides a jamon iberica :) I am slowly creating a list for myself, but if something already exists out there, it would make things that much easier. Thanks!

2. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, the question: are there sites/lists that have some gift/souvenir ideas by country to make the shopping list easier?

Don't know of any sites/lists.....so perhaps we should start our own! :cool:

I love to bring back (transportable) food. Not sure how easy a jamon iberica is to transport, though! The easiest is spices, for example Jerk Seasoning from Jamacia. Years ago (before the liquid ban) we actually brought back a jug of Jerk Marinade. Lasted almost a year! It's always fun to go into local supermarkets and pick up a few jars of interesting spices.

3. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    A daunting task! I was actually thinking of that for myself, not sure how much interest there is for this crowd. May be I can somehow make a scavenger hunt/mileage run out of it? :)

Foods are certainly the toughest to bring, even if its all legal, doesn't mean that somewhere along the way it won't be taken away just because.

Bonnie likes this.
  4. baliparis
    Original Member

baliparis Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am not aware of any websites that list gift ideas by country. But I find part of the fun is just shopping around.

I have found gift/souvenirs from Spain quite easy - hand painted fans, silk embroidered shawls, extra virgin olive oil and if going end of Nov-Dec, you will find a large selection of nougat type sweets, Turron. I too like to bring back some food items. Chupa Chups lollipops which for some reason are now hard to find in the US. Hand painted terracotta decorative plates( also in Portugal). Terracotta pans, like the ones used for paella.

FlyingBear likes this.
  5. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the feedback. The goal for me is finding stuff that is more recognizable as being from a specific region/country. Most of my friends would react to olive oil as being from Italy or at best Greece, so in that respect it's not so "representative." And while I don't mind shopping around, as a business traveler I typically have little time to spend figuring out what/where to get.