Gift Ideas for a Pilot

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by kw335, Mar 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Totally unrelated to traveling and point-earning, but thought MP would be a right place to find the answer to this question.

A colleague of mine, a physician of 35+ years who is also a pilot, is retiring at the end of next month. He said: "I'd be crazy if I ever came back to medicine. I just want to spend my free time flying!". A group of us are brainstorming ideas for a gift. Any suggestions for a gift that is appropriate for a pilot?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    If he's been a pilot long, he likely has much of this already. Some of favorite pilot supplies/gifts are:
    • GPS - bonus points if it is weather-enabled and/or traffic-enabled
    • Flashlight - good heavy duty one that has white, red, and green options for lighting. A huge requirement when flying at night
    • high quality headset -- Bose, Lightspeed, and a few other are really well known. Unfortunately, this is usually a matter of personal choice as to what kind they like
    • Sunglasses -- they have to be thin on the ear pieces to fit under a headset
    • Portable traffice alert system (called TCAS)
    • Handheld transceiver -- this is basically a walkie-talkie he can use if his plane loses power for any reason. Unfortunately, I only purchased one AFTER I experienced that for the first time
    • High quality gear bag to take all his supplies back and forth to the airport. Can't recall if I can post links to other sites on here or not, so private message me if you need samples. One vendor makes a really nice soft leather bag
    • Flight Simulator game, rudder pedals and yoke -- if he's going to be retired though, I suspect this is not that important as 1) he has money to actually fly, 2) he has time to actually fly
    • If you live anywhere near somewhere he can get a different rating (e.g. seaplane rating), it might be fun to get him a gift certificate for a flight in that kind of plane
    • there are all kinds of aviation-themed apparel as well
    Hope some of that helps!

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many thanks, WilCo. I will do some research on all of the items to mentioned above.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    WilCo mentioned most of the things, and talked about seaplane ratings. When he really has everything ratings are always good, assuming he's passionate about flying.

The ones I have given the most have been:
    gyroplane rating- fairly rare, but there are a couple fo schools and it is a definite feather for a pilot
    seaplane rating- very fat, two or three days, and fairly cheap too
    If he is already instrument and multi engine rated type ratings are good. Easy ones to find and give are Cessna Citation CE-500 but there are hundreds of possibilities.
    Then there are:
    Hot air balloon
    Gas balloon
    Blimp

If money is not an issue and he already has PPL, Commercial and ATP type ratings and additional categories are sure winners.

My spouse gave me five of them, but I ended out starting a flight school and charter airline to feed my increasingly obsessive habit. Retired people from professional files often do such things.

5. James Dombrowski
    Original Member

James Dombrowski Silver Member

Status Points:
    No-Doz for his local ATCer?

6. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    A flask full of nice single malt.

Bundy Bear and jbcarioca like this.
  7. Bundy Bear
    Original Member

Bundy Bear Silver Member

Status Points:
    My only suggestion would be alcohol, so I think the below suggestion would be a good one.

kwai likes this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given the current price of oil, a gift card for jet fuel?