Gift Cards & eVIPs

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Travel2Food, Nov 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I paid for an upcoming international flight (reasonable C inventory available) and promptly called to apply eVIPs to the ticket. After applying the upgrades, she asked for my credit card to ticket the inventory. When I pointed out that it was paid with gift cards, she had to call someone and cancel the upgrade transaction.

According to the AAgent, gift-card ticketing has to be completed before applying the eVIP. Meaning I have to wait (and hope the C inventory doesn't evaporate). Should be OK on this trip, but it's probably worth a "heads-up" to others that seek to do the same.

OceanBreezes, Titans26 and Jimgotkp like this.
  2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Am I correct that you tried to upgrade in the window between "purchased" and "ticketed"? How long did it take to change to ticketed? I usually do my international bookings late at night and call in to upgrade after they go to ticketed. I've never missed an upgrade yet, though clearly there is a chance someone might grab the same seat in that window.

alohastephen and Jimgotkp like this.
  3. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You are correct.

It's not showing "ticketed" yet, though it's only been about 3 hours. It's a long trip and I don't want to miss the upgrade.

Apparently the phone agent tried to get it ticketed when we were on the phone and was told that I'd just have to wait it out. She said it's easier to get done when one uses a credit card vis a gift card.

She also "pulled" the eVIPs, and noted the record, but couldn't actually confirm the upgrade until tickets issue. Hopefully, they won't pull VIPs twice.

4. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Update: got the email indicating that it had been ticketed, called & they completed the upgrade (seats had been assigned & it was noted that the certs were pulled). Website still shows purchased, but AAgent noted that it had ticketed.

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Interesting, thanks for sharing.

alohastephen likes this.
  6. Globetrotter

Globetrotter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always upgrade even before ticketing (while my booking is on hold) and it is a fact that you can do that. It is easier to reverse the eVIP pull if you cancel/change your plans than to get back space that you lost while waiting! In fact, the window between purchasing and ticketing is the ONLY time when you cannot process the upgrade, because the ticket is in "limbo" and they don't want to upset the natural order of things (i.e., somebody could be working on it, etc.). Even then, though, you can request for the agent to expedite the process. Many a times I have called in to expedite a reissue (after a change to my ticket), because it was taking too long and I was simply worried that it wouldn't process before my next flight sector (you DO NOT want to deal with that at the airport counter!). As long as you have a valid reason for being in a rush, they don't mind. But if you're flying two months from now and call in just because you have ants in your pants then obviously they'll tell you to wait. Wanting to catch that last C seat is a valid reason to rush!

7. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So I tried again - this time tried to apply the VIP while the reservation was on hold. No dice with eVouchers or gift cards. Once the agent applies the VIP, the purchase has to happen by phone and the EXP agent informed me that they can't take either eVouchers or gift cards (which the system sees as one and the same) on the phone. They are usable online only (despite what the back of the gift card says about "redeemable by phone).

I don't know what happens if someone doesn't have internet access, but this agent (like the one the other day) informed me that gift cards had to be used online & (as a result) the trip had to be ticketed before applying the eVIP.

8. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This time the ticket issued within 30 minutes, a quick call back to EXP & I'm all set.

Talking to the AAgent, she pointed out that I have 4 more VIPs that expire in Feb. I said I was aware & that I am planning on using them. She went on to say that she had one customer that had 21 VIPs who wasn't aware how many he had (some with no expiration date).... that's quite a stash, and I'd be glad to take a few....

9. Titans26

Titans26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow! I'm on that other site (FT) also. This is the first "NEW" thing (airline procedure) I've learned from either site in 2011. Thanks for the "heads-up."

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint