GH San Antonio Review

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by rajuabju, Feb 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    Finished up a 3 night stay here at the GH San Antonio.

I used a Diamond suite upgrade, and was given a fantastic suite, around 1700sf. It's 2 bedrooms, 3 bath. Large living area, 6 person dining table, and a bar area. It's on the 5th floor, so not the worlds greatest views, but not complaining at all. The beds were a King and 2 doubles. SO comfortable!

I made use of the recent 48hr sale, and so my total cost for 3 nights is around $475. It was around $775 prior to the sale happening. Not bad at all, even better considering we're in a suite.

The hotel itself is pretty darn nice. I'm liking the furnishings in the room, as well as the common areas. Looks like they had done some upgrades to the lobby, etc, although the marble pillars are so tacky. Bar Rojo, the on-site bar is pretty good, nice service and good pricing (I'm used to LA pricing, so who knows really lol). I havent checked out the other food/drink offerings.

The stayfit gym is nice. I didnt use it, but friends traveling with me have, and they gave it high marks. They also made use of the lap pool which was nice. But for such a large hotel, connected right next door to the convention center, no spa services? Not even a jacuzzi? Kinda odd I think.

Location is nice.. very close to the Alamo, and just a 3-4 minute walk to the 'main' area of the RiverWalk. Obviously, the Hyatt HR has a better location as its located truly in the heart of the riverwalk area, but I went in there and while I dont know about the rooms, the HR looks pretty dated to me.

Grand Room is a bit disappointing with its offerings. No hot food for the night ... just mostly crackers and cheese. Its not horrible, but I've certainly seen better. The concierge in the Grand Room has been outstanding though, helping with numerous food & activity selections. Views are excellent, especially at night.

I would definitely stay here again, and would recommend it to anyone as well. IMO, the location of the HR, while better than the GH, isnt enough of a reason to stay there. I can deal with being a few extra steps away from "the action" and instead enjoy my hotel experience more.

aptraveler likes this.
  2. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    We just completed a 3-night stay at this property for a conference. I applied a Diamond Suite Upgrade (since it was busy and really wanted the "extra" space and 2nd bathroom - been trying to apply one for almost a year but PLA was unsuccessful - I called the day before arrival and the hotel had availability so I called the Diamond line to apply one).

Got a suite on the 11th floor - from the floor diagram - it appears that there are 3 suites on each floor (obviously the upper floors could be different). The suite was very nice with the "living room" approximately 3x the size of a regular room (there is a connecting room on each side of the living room and when I called I was asked if we wanted a Double or King room - so I'm assuming that each of the connecting door was to a different bed configuration). The living room had a bar / dining table with 6 counter stools, two console tables (one with 2 stools tucked underneath), a sectional couch with a chaise on one end, obviously a flat screen TV (probably a 37"). There was a complete bathroom and a dry bar with cabinets, small refrigerator, and microwave.

The connecting room with the King size bed was (I'm assuming) a regular King room that's average sized for the US with a chaise lounge near the window, a small flat screen TV (32"?).

The bathrooms were about the same size (perhaps the one in the living room area was slightly bigger) with typical Portico White Ginger toileteries. I wanted to note that the water was so soft (I think that is the type of water for this condition), that it took "forever" to rinse off during showers after soaping up.

The Grand Club is located on the 23rd floor. The hotel has two elevator banks (one for floors 1-19 and the other for 1-5 & 20-25?). The transfer needed to get to the club got really quite annoying as time went on (probably didn't add that much time but it was inconvenient). I'm not sure if the suite is worth the trouble if you didn't really need the space / extra room / bathroom - YMMV on this issue. The food in the club itself is fairly nice but average for Club Lounges domestically. However, the setup (particularly the food serving area) is pretty awkward and inconvenient if the club is relatively crowded.

Self parking system uses the room key - so remember to keep your room key if you have a car in self-park (and remind them to charge you for it). They indicated that the key system has been losing its memory sometimes - mid-day of the day after we checked in we had to get re-keyed since neither key worked for either the room or the Club (so it wasn't us demagnetizing either of the keys). The "lower" level (below the lobby) has the restaurant and access directly to the extension of the Riverwalk. Right now there is a promotion going on that if you "check in" to the property on Foursquare the first time and notify the front desk, they will complete a form to submit for 250 GP points.

Although this review seems to be pretty critical of the property, I would say that it is one of the nicer (but not the nicest) properties domestically in the US.

aptraveler likes this.
  3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I had a recent stay at this property. For my one night stay, I caught a mini-upgrade to a club room, which I assume is pretty much the same as a standard room, just on a higher floor. The room itself was in good shape and furnished a bit more like a Regency than a Grand.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The room itself was perfectly fine, it just didn't strike me as all that different from a nice Hyatt Regency. The public spaces were definitely more fitting of a Grand.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

aptraveler likes this.
  4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    The lobby was nicely appointed, and there was a nice Latin-themed bar just off the lobby. While I didn't have time to enjoy a meal, the menu looked really interesting. They had some sushi-inspired small plates that I'm sure I would have enjoyed.
    The Club was very welcoming, except for the fact that my key card wouldn't open the door. After finally gaining access, I was impressed with the spread of food available. I'd say this was one of the better varieties I've seen in a domestic club that wasn't a Ritz or Four Seasons.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The hotel also had a pretty sizable health club, with a full room of aerobic equipment and a separate room of weights and strength training.
    [​IMG]

The hotel also has some riverside dining on the San Antonio Riverwalk as well.
    [​IMG]

ETA: This hotel also has a nifty FourSquare bonus. If you check-in there for the first time and show your screen to the front desk agent, you'll get 250 Hyatt Gold Passport points.

aptraveler likes this.
  5. aptraveler

aptraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    This hotel is one of my favorite hotels when visiting San Antonio, especially if am visiting on a long weekend. SA is about 3 hours drive from Houston. It's centrally located, just across from the Alamo on one side, and on the festive Riverwalk on the other. I too enjoy their wide open spaces, as you mentioned, and always enjoy how they cleverly integrated part of the 'river experience' in the building, by allowing the river water to go through the lush lobby of the hotel. It's certainly a fun place to stay. Needless to say that enjoyed your review, Pizzaman, good job! :)

6. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I really wish I had more time to stay and enjoy the property. I could definitely see making this a base for a longer stay.