Getting to SYD on *A

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by SeaRaptor, Apr 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. SeaRaptor
    Original Member

SeaRaptor Silver Member

Status Points:
    The wife and I are sailing out of Sydney on a cruise in March 2014, and I want to burn up my UA miles for a first class redemption and make the trip special.

UA's routing rules restrict me to trans-Pacific for an award to Australia, so I've been doing a ton of research and want to get some collective feedback from folks with more experience doing this than myself.

Getting across the Pacific, I can only find UA, OZ, and NH that offer F. If I'm going to redeem miles, I think I'd prefer to try OZ or NH over UA. NH's F seems to be a difficult award after the first few months of the year, so here's what I'm thinking:

Outbound
    JFK-ICN (OZ F)
    ICN-HKG (OZ J, no F offered on this route)
    Spend a day or two in HKG, as we've never been
    HKG-BKK (TG F)
    BKK-SYD (TG F)

Return
    SYD-BKK (TG F)
    BKK-NRT (TG F)
    NRT-JFK or NRT-ORD (NH F)

-or-

SYD-BKK (TG F)
    BKK-ICN (TG J)
    ICN-JFK (OZ F)

My goals:
    1. To be as comfortable as possible. If this means an extra stop or two, so be it. I am not in a huge rush to get to Sydney as we plan to leave nearly a week before the ship sails.
    2. To try more than one carrier's F offering on the trans-Pacific leg, if possible. I'd like to try NH in one direction and OZ in the other, but NH is so stingy with their F award availability, we may have to fly OZ in both directions. That would be more than tolerable, but I'm trying for some variety. If we can find F space on NH, I would prefer to ride in their First Square, which further limits options.
    3. To visit to the TG F spa at BKK in at least one direction (though both works if need be). Finding intra-Asia legs that offer F on TG is a bit of a challenge, since you have to be departing on F to have full spa access.

So far what I've come up with meets those criteria, but I'm wondering if I've missed other potential routings. Anyone else have ideas?

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    dont forget ICN/NRT - ORD has F.

SeaRaptor and kyunbit like this.
  3. SeaRaptor
    Original Member

SeaRaptor Silver Member

Status Points:
    OZ is shuffling aircraft on their ICN-ORD route, so I'll probably avoid it for the moment. JFK-ICN will reliably have their new F product, which is what I'm interested in trying.

NRT-ORD for the return, though, is looking like a great option if I can find F availability. Since odds are good we'll still be based out of YYT by then, getting back to Newfoundland from Chicago is much simpler (and quicker) than trying to do it from JFK.

I'm fairly certain at this point that my goal for the return leg is going to be SYD-BKK-NRT with TG followed by NRT-ORD with NH. I'll have to wait until pretty close in to get F for the BKK-NRT and NRT-ORD segments to open up, but I can go ahead and book the flights in J and set some ExpertFlyer notices.

Wandering Aramean likes this.