Getting to Montreal ... via LGA/ALB/ORD ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by edekba, Oct 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I am starting to plan a spring trip to YUL. Getting there seems give us 2/3 options to do it cheaply.

1) Fly to LGA via Southwest (we have award tickets we need to use); then AA LGA - YUL via Avios points. Return YUL - LGA - Home would require a night in NYC...
    2) Fly to ALB via Southwest; take Adirondack up to MTR. <-- This option requires an overnight in Albany, NY since the times don't match up.
    3) Fly to MDW via Southwest; spend a night in Chicago (Radisson Blu from the 1for1 promo) then AA via Avios ORD - YUL. This does cost more $$$ & BA points ...

Has anyone taken the Adirondack up to MTR? Any opinions on it? Any idea on where to stay for the night? I was thinking the HIE Albany Downtown; as it is close to the Amtrak station and has shuttle service to/from ALB. Or the "new" Hotel Albany - from Hilton.

Chicago ... I want to use my 1for1 @ the only Radisson Blu in N.America ... but getting to Chicago from YUL is costly ... vs Options 1 & 2.

Currently I am thinking of doing Option 1 for getting to YUL; but return back home I don't know which one to do.

miles and smiles likes this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the low Avios requirement from NYC would be the preferred method, plus an overnight in NYC beats an overnight in Albany by far.

edekba and pyelder like this.
  3. pyndasky

pyndasky Silver Member

Status Points:
    . I agree. Option 1 probably gives you the most options for a plan B, if something goes wrong. But, if the schedules work, out on the return trip, its a nice train ride to Albany... and if you're staying in downtown Montreal, its much easier and quicker to get to the Train Station than YUL.

edekba likes this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I could take the Train down to Penn Station ... stay @ the Radisson on Broadway; then take train to EWR to fly home. That way save costs & get the train ride...

maybe

thanks!

miles and smiles, viguera and pyelder like this.
  5. pyndasky

pyndasky Silver Member

Status Points:
    ..... hang out a day and catch a show!!!!

edekba likes this.
  6. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    What are you planning to do in YUL? MR or trip? We just got back from YUL and YQB about 2 months ago. I highly, highly recommend YQB over YUL. So much more to do and see IMHO. Food is better too.

edekba likes this.
  7. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Trip :) We've always wanted to goto YUL ... and I kinda want to go over to YQB; but not enuf time I think. Only going to be taking a week off; so in reality just 5 nights in ol' canada.

8. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Oh, more than enough time depending on what you want to do. We did 3 nights YUL and 3 nights YQB with the kids. Could have spend much more time in YQB. After a day or two in YUL, it was like being in NYC or any other major metro area except they spoke French. I think MP's did a post there and one other blogger too. It was okay, but Vieux Quebec was such a great walking city and you could park. Regular QC was pretty cool too. My wife are big foodie types and there are a couple of places in YUL that are outstanding i can recommend if you want and in OQC too...especially pastries. The Thai food isn't bad surprisingly. :p we always try out SEA food just to compare and laugh or to appreciate how well it has traveled. dang i miss BKK and Chiang Mai.

edekba likes this.
  9. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Amtrak to montreal is very scenic. What i would recommend, if you have the flexability, fly to LGA and take AA via Avios up and take amtrak down. Why? There are significant taxes leaving Canada, and by flying in and not flying out you get significant savings.

edekba likes this.
  10. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good points. Coming down the Hudson is a very scenic ride. You could go from Montreal to NY Penn Station either direct or with a change of train in Albany.

edekba likes this.
  11. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup i see a Direct MTR -> NYP. gets into Penn at 8:40pm. Then I think the Radisson is like 2 blocks away? Flight out of EWR is at 11am so pretty much I get one night in NY which is fine by me.

I think I shall do that. thx

12. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's a good choice -- you might want to think about staying near the Newark Amtrak train station -- unless you want some time in the big Apple you should save some money.

The line from New York to Montreal is one of the nicest in the US, view up the Hudson is on the left side of the train, view of Lake Champaign is from the right side and both, as Tony the Tiger used to say are GREAT.

DTWBOB

edekba likes this.
  13. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    as long as you aren't coming to visit our fair area in the next week or so, you should be okay. sandy, sandy, oh sandy...:mad:

edekba likes this.
  14. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will have a Radisson 1for1 That i can use @ the Radisson on Broadway. I think that's like 2/3 blocks away from Penn Station :)

No I will be in NY in Dec ... this trip isnt till next year :)

15. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Yes, it is close enough by that area. You'll be around Herald Square and KTown. As you can imagine, they are not all created equally. Yelp isn't all that helpful either.

edekba likes this.
  16. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    My sis in law lives in hells kitchen. We want to stay near there but unfortunately that pretty much means staying in times square which in turn = $$$

17. pyndasky

pyndasky Silver Member

Status Points:
    by the way, if you love jazz/blues and can postpone your trip a couple of months, The Montreal Jazz Festival (6/28/13 to 7/7/13) is a feast of jazz and blues!!!! www.montrealjazzfest.com

edekba likes this.