Getting to/maintaining Silver via Segments

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Ozzy_JM, Jul 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Hi folks,

Just wanted to ask if anyone has maintained/achieved status via segments only. I was interested in doing a few one day trips containing 5 segments.

Currently have
    Found via ITA
    Unless you folks can suggest something more rewarding :D

Thanks

2. Found this via Orbitz - 6 segments

:cool:

kwidhalm likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP

What are your goals? Status only or eventually award tickets? Remember that by deliberately qualifying on segments, you're not earning a lot of redeemable miles toward award tickets in the process.

viguera likes this.
  4. Hi MSPeconomst,

It would be good to get the miles as well but I think for this year it may have to be status only. Last year I was able to do it via miles and segments, but alas...so far this year, I only managed to get away once :(

5. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
    My girlfriend got silver last year only via segments, thanks to a year-end MR, 4 segments CLT-DCA-LGA-PHL-CLT for around $200.

Looking ahead to re-qualification, she may need to do something similar. But getting 6 segments would be better, to give her more flexibility around her normal travels. Does anyone have suggestions for destinations that might allow for an affordable 6 segment same-day return from CLT?

6. While reading the US Air website it mentioned earning miled on Star Alliance partners. Does anyone know or can confirm earning these miles would be qualifying miles to be used towards status?

I'm thinking maybe taking advantage of fares with CO & UA.

Can anyone confirm?

7. Try throwing in BWI and BUF in the mix and see what you can come up with. maybe from DCA-BWI-LGA or so.

8. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can probably qualify for miles at a better rate. Also - keep in mind that IRROPs will screw up segment runs, especially with segment runs connecting in LGA - i wouldn't consider it.

Out of BOS, 69 to LAS generally has good availability and timed to do a red-eye back (via CLT or PHL). Lots of double connections price out cheaply. PVD-PHL-PHX-SNA, etc. Pick a East (PHL/CLT) only destination and a West (PHX) only destination to force more connections in.

You will earn EQMs and Segments on Star Alliance flights.

Exiled in Express likes this.
  9. :confused: Thanks for the tip, but I think I am a bit confused by the lingo or reading into it too much :oops:.

Are yo saying there are $69 fares (is the OW/RT??) out of BOS on *A that I can fit a bunch of connections into while avoiding LGA?

I played around with a few dates via ITA and all I saw were $350 and up. Where/how did you find that $69 fare...or as I mentioned maybe I am reading it wrong :confused:

PS - on a separate note - Where it the MR/FD for Dummies thread? :D

10. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think 69 is the flight number, not the price.

kwidhalm likes this.
  11. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    69 is the flight number. Took it tonight and there was 7 open seats in first class.

I would look at a west coast mileage run. Using a random Saturday (9/17). Sna (orange county is a good deal). $368 for us only (allin and roundtrip) for 5800 pqm and 5 segments. Price drops to $331 if you use CO on the return via houston or newark. The us and houston options are great for a quick turn (same day) and newark is good if you actualy want to sight see or go to the beach (redeye return). Better deals might pop up, but this isn't too bad.

12. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife made Chairman's a couple years ago via segments only...I don't think she's in a hurry to repeat that!

13. Gulfstream 550

Gulfstream 550 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Segments and miles on UA do count toward EQM's and EQS (segments). I have flown UA several times this year and all my UA miles and segments, with my US # in the PNR came through about 3-4 days affter the leg was completed. So you can do UA flights and they do count for US miles and US segments for Elite Qualifying.