Getting to & from the airport Q&A

Discussion in 'FRA | Frankfurt International Airport' started by kraven, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    Getting to FRA by train:
    Frankfurt Airport has two train stations: One for regional and one for long-distance trains. The walking time between those two stations is about 10 minutes. Some long-distance trains call at the regional train station at night.
    The ICE long-distance trains connect hourly Cologne, Mannheim, Basel (some trains also go to Zurich), Stuttgart and Munich with Frankfurt Airport. A train change at Mannheim is needed sometimes. There are also direct connections to Brussels and Amsterdam via ICE. Beware that the trains coming from Paris will not call at Frankfurt Airport, you'll have to change at Mannheim.
    The Lufthansa Airail service will call at the long-distance train station.
    The airport is also well connected by regional trains, called S-Bahn. They provide a frequent transfer (every 15 Minutes) to Frankfurt City and cost 3.40 3.90 per journey.

Getting to FRA by car:
    Situated directly near A3 and A5 motorway, it is easy to find the airport. Parking space is available, but very expensive. Expect to pay 25 Euros per day. The "Business Parking" spaces in parking garage P4 is even more expensive. You can pre-book so-called "Holiday Parking" spaces from Fraport itself, but also from private vendors. A bus transfer (included in the price of the parking) from the parking space to the airport is needed as they're far away from the airport.
    You can also park your car at nearby train stations, but these parking spaces are not video-controlled and are notorious for burglars, especially if they see a foreign car. But, as you may like to save some money, you can park your car at Frankfurt-Stadion train station (S8/S9 every 15 minutes) or Neu-Isenburg train station (Bus 651 and OF-67 every 15-30 minutes). You can't park at Kelsterbach train station as they are equipped with parking-meters.
    Some airport hotels do offer a "park and fly" service with a package of a one-night stay and free parking for up to 14 days.

Getting to FRA by bus:
    Germany's bus network is regulated by government, so there are just a few long-distance-busses calling at Frankfurt Airport. The main bus station for all European bus services is located right outside the Main Train Station, accessible by S-Bahn to Frankfurt Hbf.
    But there is a nightly bus from Heidelberg to Hamburg which stops at Frankfurt Airport. You can also hop on the hourly shuttle to Frankfurt-Hahn Airport which also calls at Frankfurt Airport.
    There are some Lufthansa-owned bus services to Strasbourg and Heidelberg, these ones need to be booked well in advance.

Getting from the airport to Frankfurt Fair:
    At fair times, there is a private shuttle bus departing right outside the Terminal at the bus station directly to Frankfurt Fair. It costs about 10 Euros one-way and will take about 20 minutes to reach the fair.
    This bus is only in service at large fairs like the IAA or the book fair.

kkhah, CrankyScott and kiwi like this.
  2. cockpitvisit
    Original Member

cockpitvisit Gold Member

Status Points:
    The S-Bahn from the airport to Frankfurt City costs 3.90EUR nowadays.

3. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I've changed that. I usually take the bus for 2.40EUR from my hometown ;)

4. TRHiker

TRHiker Silver Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, I have found picking up a rental car at FRA and getting on the correct Autobahn to be pretty stressful, especially after a redeye with only limited sleep. The rental companies I have used--Sixt and Hertz--both have their pick-up locations inside the huge garage. That means that you may not be able to set the GPS provided in those cars until you are on the road, if you can figure out which road to get on without the GPS being set and aligned. Two solutions I've used: (a) bring a GPS from the US that has European maps and that you can pre-program with your destination or (b) take a train out from FRA toward your destination and get a rental car away from the FRA chaos. I am generally going to the NW of Frankfurt, so I have done this at Mainz, Montabaur, and Siegburg. From Mainz, there was still a lot of urban area to go through, so I probably would not do that again. In Montabaur, the Hertz people picked me up from the station and took me to their location on the other side of the Autobahn; it was very easy from there. In Siegburg, the Sixt location was less than 100 yards from the exit to the station; most recently, I returned the car there and took the train to FRA and did not have to fool with refueling near FRA. (There is a rather expensive Shell station in FRA, which is the most convenient place to refuel that I have found near FRA.)

5. servus
    Original Member

servus Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, but ever thought about just bringing a map? :eek:

6. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Need help with a different problem, but cannot figure out how to post a new question from my tablet. My adult son will be flying into FRA from NYC on Delta on Sept 13. We will be picking him up in a Hertz rental from Mainz. What is the best place for us to plan to meet him? He will have only carry-on baggage, if that is relevant. There is the possibility that one of us could go inside and hold up a sign while the other drives around, but is there a better plan for where people in cars pick up arriving passengers?