Getting to Europe using AA miles

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by edekba, Aug 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know the most economical way of getting to Europe is to fly on AA metal & not through LHR. With that being said, BA does have much more availability & London is a place that we have not yet visited so if we were wanting to goto Europe (With London as a part of that overall trip) what methods are the most economical?

Based upon my research (Plugging in HOME - LHR & Home -> Europe | Europe -> Home & LHR - Home) i've found that doing the following is the one that has the least amount of taxes/fees.
    • Home - LHR
    • Europe - LHR - Home
    Are my findings correct? anything else I miss?

2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have quite a few options without transiting London on the way home. I just flew home on AA from Barcelona on Monday via JFK. Generally you'll only pay a few dollars in taxes leaving the U.S. Where you get hit is on departure from Europe. Both Germany and France have implemented tax increases to help the Third World or green initiatives, so you will notice higher taxes for departure in those countries, just not as high as the U.K. If you depart from Ireland or Spain you'll avoid those types of taxes.

If you're going to fly BA on that last leg from LHR to the US, you'll avoid the bulk of the UK taxes, but you will pay the BA fuel surcharges, so you do want to avoid BA metal if at all possible.

If you can't find AA flights, look at carriers such as Air Berlin or Iberia which fly from Germany (Dusseldorf, Berlin) or Spain (Madrid). Air Berlin flights should show up on line. Pretty sure you'll need to call to check Iberia.

iolaire and edekba like this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you know of a good way to filter out BA flights using AA.com?

4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you do your first award search and select the travel date, you'll get a list of flights on the right and a list of airlines and some other stuff on the left. Untick the box next to BA on the left. For the rest of your session, all BA flights will be filtered out.

edekba, rwoman and Mike Reed like this.
  5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh got it, then you have to search day by day. No way to exclude BA on the monthly search then I am assuming

6. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your findings are correct, though Home- LHR; Europe-Home is also a possibility. That's what my daughter and I are doing (SEA-JFK-LHR; ZRH-JFK-SEA, time spent in London and Paris, overnight in Zurich on the way home).

miles and smiles and edekba like this.