Getting to Bali, SE Asia, or New Zealand on points in August.

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by LarryInNYC, Jan 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    For a significant birthday, I'd like to take my family of 4 from the New York area to Bali. in August or July / August. We're looking to be away for about 4 weeks.

I currently have 250,000 AA miles and 100,000 Delta miles. I'm also completely card spends for 50,000 UR points and two separate 40,000 US Air miles. I know I don't have enough miles to do this completely as awards, but ideally I'd like to get at least two of the four tickets as awards, buying the other tickets for (hopefully) $1500 or so.

If Bali in particular is difficult or impossible, I'd also be interested in New Zealand, Bangkok (or other SE Asia gateway city), or possibly Australia.

What are my options?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could actually do 3 full roundtrips in Y with the AA miles alone. Though I'd say book 2 J class tickets with the AA miles on CX or if you can get 20,000 more miles and the space is there, go for F for 2 people. Then buy 2 Y tickets if possible for ~$1500 each as you say. Then if they allow it, you can try to split the premium cabin by doing 2 in J/F on the way down, and the other 2 on the way back. If you're flying F, you'll get access for you + guest at the F lounge in HKG, however flying business only the ticketed passengers would have access to the J lounge (assuming no one has oneworld status?). This is all assuming that you can find the space for any of the above options, but leaving from NYC with some flexibility shouldn't be too difficult.

LarryInNYC, infamousdx and uggboy like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    We fly only coach, have never flown business or first ever, sadly! But, nothing really missed so far, because, we can fly, that's what we really want and when we can only afford coach, so be it! Long live flying!

MLW20, cennas, mailbroad and 3 others like this.
  5. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Like JohnDeere19 said, you can do 3 round trips in Coach for 70K each. If you want the simplest route, I would do that and then just pay for 1 ticket.

6. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Coach would be okay. I assume the paid tickets will be in coach so even if the awards are in business we'd be flying 2 and 2.

7. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I flew my college aged kid to Bali for vacation over Christmas. I'm quite good at finding award space, but it took me a week to find awards with miles.

I tried using AA, DL and CO miles. Normally when using AA miles I have no problems, but no luck. DL, as normal, only inflated miles. CO had some interesting options. US-LHR-SVO-BKK-DPS. Interesting, but I try to avoid Moscow in December.

By calling up, got US-ICN-BKK-DPS. Not ideal layovers, but not a bad deal.

I'd recommend starting right away, as flights will fill up quick, if they're not already full.

8. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for a very helpful answer.

If we fly to in front and two in back, and we do want to switch the two who fly in front for outbound and return flights, do we actually need to have the airline ticket it that way, or can we simply pass the boarding passes around?

Also, where would I check the availability?

9. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Check availability using british airways award search or something like award nexus (paid). I've never had a problem switching seats when on board, especially letting my girlfriend sit in my upgraded seat, though I've never done it on CX or internationally for that matter so I'm not sure, maybe someone else could chime in on that...just be honest that you'd like to switch with your companion in Y.

miles and smiles and LarryInNYC like this.
  10. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I highly recommend just trading boarding passes. I've done it numerous times and it's never been an issue. If you ticket it that way, the award won't be so bad with one way awards but your rev ticket will be one ways as well which is likely far more expensive than a roundtrip.

11. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    My friends just flew GSP - CGK in coach for 70K AA miles each. They just called AA and booked their flights that way. So, if you can acquire another 30,000 AA miles, you might be able to get award seats for all four.

LarryInNYC and JohnDeere19 like this.
  12. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    What carrier were they on?

miles and smiles likes this.
  13. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't remember just how they were booked, but it was with AA miles via an AA agent.
    GSP-DFW-HND-CGK, I believe

JohnDeere19 and LarryInNYC like this.
  14. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    you could travel to SE Asia when the weather is cold in your neck of the woods:)

15. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I could, but my school-aged children, alas, cannot. At least, until we make the leap to a year or two off for traveling.

JohnDeere19 and miles and smiles like this.
  16. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know the situation, Mrs Sweet Willie is in education so we too have set dates on when we can take off.
    Personally I refuse to travel to a tropical destination like SE Asia, Hawaii, Florida, etc during summertime in the northern hemisphere.

I wish you luck in your search. For our Bali trip, we redeemed cheapo coach awards on UA into Singapore & then used *A miles again for econ flights on Singapore Airlines SIN-DPS (Bali)-SIN. Perhaps if you could get AA econ awards into SIN (via NRT & JAL airlines), then purchase cheap air to Bali on Garuda or other low cost airline, in fact I just did a search and KLM was pricing out the same as Garuda for direct flights SIN-DPS:eek:

17. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I fly LAX/SFO to CGK quite a bit, and usually fly on CX, which is a very nice ride in First class. Given the routing listed here, I'd guess it was a JAL flight. Given that it's 67.5k for First Class on CX, I would highly recommend it. Usually these flights price out at 10-15K each, RT.

If the OP has the time, I'd book at least two tickets, and then could do some Citi AA cards. Not sure what the current bonus is, but they had nice 75k per card ones not that long ago. Some hotel plans also transfer to AA at a reasonable rate. I've seen Radisson and Wyndham have ratios that I'd use for AA.

18. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm a bit confused. Why would you book an award travel to SIN, and then pay more with miles, or buy a connector flight? You should be able to connect to the same flight for the same amount of miles. UA/CO are both part of the Star Alliance.

The flight I booked for my kid was CGK-SIN-LAX on SQ flights, the last being on the A380. 32.5k CO miles, one way.

19. Surface Interval
    Original Member

Surface Interval Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yea, but that whole rainy season thing tends to mess that up - at least for Bali and the like. Summer here is dry season there. Not that the wet season is all that bad (beats the heck out of snow) :)

A bad day in Bali beats a good day in Northern OH just about anytime!

20. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    original plan was to go elsewhere in SE Asia, so we had ticks to SIN booked long before deciding to go to Bali. Depositing the miles back into our accounts then rebooking was not an option by the time we decided on Bali.
    Our Bali trip was during the last week of March & thankfully the weather was beautiful.

21. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bali is always good to visit, we were there last Feb the weather were just perfect, stayed at GH Bali using 5K GP before they raise it 12K and was upgrade to suite :)
    OP wish you and family have a great time in Bali.

22. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Bali was fairly rainy when we went in December. Didn't bother me much. It would usually rain for half an hour or an hour, and then clear up later. Hopefully not as much rain when we go next month.

23. lohiadk

lohiadk Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bali is nice place to visit. Pretty cheap to rent a car (most of the time they are like the older versions of the smaller toyota land crusier) for less than $50 a day with the driver. many villa properties all over the island ranging from $100-more than $1000 a night. I prefer staying in the villas than the bigger hotels.

If you could trade your AA miles with someone for CO/UA you could get 4 tickets in coach for 260k. or do 4 OW in buss on AA for 220K and if you can manage to trade the USAir and Delta for UA you could do 4 OW on the return for 130K. This way all 4 get to experience buss class on one route but very difficult to find 4 award seats in buss in one flight. So may work better 2 in buss and 2 in eco both ways.

The oneway fare from NYC-BKK/SIN is in the range of $600-800 on diff airlines from there many low cost options to bali, so you could do 4 OW award tickets in buss and return on paid tickets in Y.

LarryInNYC and miles and smiles like this.
  24. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been to Bali before and would expect to get around by public transportation (transport? transport?). Last time (20 years ago, ouch) we were perfectly happy in a $10 per night guesthouse on MFR in Ubud. I'm sure it's more than that now, but I don't expect to spend more than $25 a night.

Where can I find fares like that? I've been seeing $1500++!

25. lohiadk

lohiadk Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think there are many decent places in bali now for $25 a night for a double room. But i have seen decent properties in the range of 35-50.

The fare I checked was on ITA, around AUG 15th onward. The cheapest it showed was OW $587 on China Eastern to either BKK or SIN. In which case it would be cheaper to fly to SIN than take one of the many low cost options to or from Bali.

LarryInNYC likes this.