Getting to Asia CC Planning

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by misterbwong, Mar 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm trying to plan a trip for my wife and I to visit family in Taiwan near the end of this year and I'd like some advice on CC strategy. My goal is to get us to Taiwan with a stopover in Osaka in Biz. I'm not worried about hotels. Ideally we'd fly together on the same flight but am open to other options

Currently have:
    ~140k UR (have Sapp Pref, Ink Bold, Ink Plus, Freedom)
    ~50k MR (MBZ Plat)
    ~55k US miles (US Platinum)
    ~16k SPG (SPG personal)

What CC's should I aim for? This is my plan so far and questions:

- Get another US card - 35k - Is this possible? I applied for my current one in Nov
    - Downgrade my Sapp Pref to regular Sapp and apply for Sapp Pref Mastercard - Is this possible?
    - Chase United card - is the 50k still available?
    - Amex Biz Gold 75k - This is iffy because spend is quite high.

Thoughts?

Edit: I should also say I'm OK with paying for fuel surcharges to get to TPE if need be (though not preferred!)

GoodBoy and Singapore Flyer like this.
  2. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    what cabin?

GoodBoy and misterbwong like this.
  3. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    He mentioned Business.

What cards has your wife applied for? If she has not had the SPG card, I would definitely have her apply for that one. It can be transferred to US Airways.

As for yourself, the one card you should definitely apply for is the United card. You can transfer at least part of your UR points to UA and have enough miles for one Business class seat.

You should try and up your SPG spending to get 20K points which you can transfer to US (20K SPG becomes 25K US).

By doing those couple of things, you should have sufficient miles to reach your goal (Use UA ticket for one flight and US Airways for the other - both are *A). The one possible problem with this is the merger of US and AA. You need to be able to book the US award prior to US changing their FF plan.

I am sure others will have other suggestions that will work just as well.

4. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wife and I tried (failed miserably) to book the same itin (open to both NRT or KIX) and failed. Your target airline is NH. My wife's boss and husband booked NJF-NRT-TPE in F and C respectively. NH didn't open up an F for her husband and she didn't want to give up F. A second choice, if war doesn't break out in Korea is to check OZ for the flights but you will be routing through ICN for a bunch of the legs.

5. misterbwong

Status Points:
    deant is right-business class

If we book using two different programs, would the operating carrier be able to "tie" the two reservations together?

Thanks for the input! I wouldn't be opposed to routing through OZ to KIX. Does anyone know if LAX-ICN on OZ has a lie flat business class product?

6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. misterbwong

Status Points:
    GoodBoy likes this.
  8. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    You might want to downgrade you CSP to a Freedom and then get the MC. That is what the Frequent Miler just did on his blog to get the MC 40,000 points.

GoodBoy likes this.
  9. misterbwong

Status Points:
    Would downgrading to regular sapp work as well? I'd like to keep the 2x dining but it's not a must.

GoodBoy likes this.
  10. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    if your downgrading to get a new Sapphire ... does it matter?

misterbwong likes this.
  11. misterbwong

Status Points:
    Sorry wasn't clear. Would downgrading to a regular CS instead of a Freedom still allow me to apply for the CSP MC? I wasn't sure if Chase considered the regular sapphire a different product like it does with a Freedom.

edit: clarity

12. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure but it won't hurt to try. Apply for the CSP MC and then see what they say. If they don't let you keep any CS cards then just get rid of the Visa and take the MC. With the MC, you'll still have 2x on dining.

misterbwong likes this.
  13. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently booked my fam using Air Canada (for the wife's ticket) and United miles. I asked United if there is a way to link the reservations and the agent claimed to do so. In the end, it might have helped, but not completely. There was a United schedule change, and the United agent was able to change the AC award to match the UA award change request, but I still had to call AC to ticket the change, and that agent gave me grief about making a change that they didn't approve. It worked out in the end.

Linking reservations did not necessarily keep our seats together when UA started switching equipment due to the 787 grounding, but this also happened to those of us on the same UA reservation.

misterbwong likes this.
  14. Miss Staunton

Miss Staunton Silver Member

Status Points:
    I flew last month from SFO to ICN and had their fantastic lay down flat seat. Flight was around noon if that helps.

misterbwong likes this.