Getting to Aruba via SW rewards and UR points on AirTran....

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by Free2travel, Aug 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Free2travel

Free2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry for the newbie question but I'm planning a trip to Aruba for my family of five and I'm not sure of the cheapest way to do it.

I have 50k rapid rewards with SW. I have 100k points with Ultimate Rewards. I will transfer the SW rewards to AirTran. I was going to pay the rest with my Chase Sapphire and get a statement credit . Is there any advantage to turning my UR points into SW points and then transferring them into AirTran points?

Thanks.

Michelle

2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably. You're going to need 96,000 points in total for 5 round trip tickets to Aruba, assuming there are that many available. 1200 points per A+ point, 16 a+ points for a round trip, 5 people = 96,000 points.

You'll have to run the math on what just paying with statement credit is vs. transferring points, but each ticket is 19,200 SW points converted to Airtran rewards... so that same amount of points would get you $192 in statement credits. As long as the round trip is more than $192 you're better off transferring the points if they transfer 1:1. I'd suggest doing this one ticket at a time vs. transferring all of them and finding out five tickets aren't available on your flights, etc.

iolaire likes this.
  3. Free2travel

Free2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you that makes perfect sense. Do you know if the transfer from Ultimate Rewards to SW takes time or is it instant?

Michelle

4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not but there are others here that do. I think there was a recent thread about this.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint