Getting the most out of DL Companion ticket

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by michaellcoates, Oct 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. michaellcoates

michaellcoates Active Member

Status Points:
    Just received a companion ticket for the DL Gold Amex I wasn't expecting. I turn Silver Med at the end of the month and just curious how I can get the most out of the comp ticket, any tips or tricks? I'm based in DAY, would like to use it for my wife and I somewhere, bummer AK and HI are out of the question. Also, Would she be eligible for a comp upgrade with me if it were available? (I understand she would need an FF# and booked in an appropriate class) Thanks for any ideas or help.

2. epekarik

epekarik Active Member

Status Points:
    I believe you have to purchase a full price ticket to be able to get the free ticket. Your offer should say class code required in small print. Ive receiving endless free companion offers fir the past 10 years and so far buying two discounted tickets were always cheaper than buying one required class ticket with Delta.

Sent from a Galaxy from far far away...

3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Gold Amex companion ticket is $99 I believe, and usually good on the cheapest fares. For sure a full fare ticket is not required - in fact the companion tickets are actually only good when you purchase the cheapest fare classes. What can trip you up, especially out of somewhere like DAY, is that sometimes the cheapest ticket is actually composed of 2 separate fare components - DAY to hub, and hub to wherever. The companion ticket will want to put you into one fare, which can bring the price up. There are also occasions where the companion ticket doesn't book correctly when you'd think it would, so there's some inconsistency.

There are no upgrades when using the cert, and no miles earned by the companion. Best use is with a companion who doesn't care about MQMs, to a destination that you would travel to anyway which is relatively close but not a cheap ticket. I have used mine from my reserve to fly MSP-SLC for a ski weekend the last couple of years. DL keeps the fares for this nonstop up around $400 pretty consistently, and I've had little difficulty in picking my date+time(which is vital for quick weekends away) for flights. With a $99 companion ticket, you're probably only going to save a small amount unless you pick somewhere deliberately expensive (in which case...make sure you are picking it because you want to go there rather than because of the expense), so take the attitude that if you end up using it it's a bonus.

4. michaellcoates

michaellcoates Active Member

Status Points:
    Great info Matt, thank you. I did just see this on the site

Companion Upgrade Terms & Conditions

Availability:
    For travel booked using a SkyMiles Companion Certificate, neither the paid primary passenger nor the companion passenger will be eligible for complimentary upgrades.

I am really looking forward to turning Medallion and getting some comp upgrades (first time for me), sucks I'll have to suffer through economy if I use it and travel with my wife. I guess I can use it on an upcoming short haul to RDU to see some friends.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    OP shouldn't expect many free upgrades as a FO, but with the right routes and times, one can get lucky.

Using the companion ticket after earning FO will mean some use of elite check in and security lines for both of you, (somewhat) priority boarding. You're already getting free bags due to the AmEx card. You also get access to premium seats and to EC for free during OLCI, including others on your PNR.

The companion cert mentions fare classes required, but does not clearly disclose that it books into a special subset of that inventory class. To avoid disappointment, log in and indicate to delta.dumb that you plan to use the cert, THEN search for flights. If you try to add it later, after first finding flights, you'll find that some itineraries you might want are ineligible for the cert.

anileze and bigx0 like this.
  6. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You don't have to travel at all -- you just have to buy the tickets. So if your wife wants to get away with a friend for example, they can both suffer economy class without you. I won't dare hazard a guess as to whether that is good or bad in your particular case :)

MX and anileze like this.
  7. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    For DL AX companion use expert flyer to check your route for X,V,T,U,L fares with at least 2 seats. You can save much time vs the DL website.

Also the 14 day advanced purchase min is not always true. I have booked all of my AX companion passes less then 5 days out.

I get most lucky using these to fly into hubs and less desirable but high traffic places like BWI. I've redeemed 4 of them on JFK and BWI flights from SEA over the years.

anileze likes this.
  8. Wbjudge

Wbjudge Active Member

Status Points:
    In my opinion the best strategy Is to upgrade to the Amex platinum card. For the extra $50 you get a free companion ticket. Still has same restrictions and you do have to pay the $40 in taxes. I assume that is true for the gold card as well making the gold card ticket actually cost about $140. They used to allow the primary ticked holder to be put on the airport standby list for an upgrade but they stopped that a couple of years ago when they came out with the expensive Reserve card.