Getting the Companion Pass with more ease

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by mattydol13, Feb 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Here is how I got the Southwest Companion pass, which requires 110k points to achieve.

-I first signed up for both the Chase southwest personal and business card, which each came with a 50k bonus. So with that, I had 100k companion pass qualifying points. At that point, I would have had to spend $10,000 on the card in order to achieve the companion pass.

-Instead of putting spending on the card, I determined who I would want my designated companion to be (my girlfriend), and had her sign up for the Chase Southwest personal card. In signing up, I had her link her credit card to my Southwest Rapid Rewards account, so that her 50k points would count toward my companion pass. Low and behold, the points posted, and I didn't have to put any spending on the cards (other than the initial purchase) in order to gain the companion pass.

I got my companion pass in the mail about a week ago, and I am good to go!

Sagegal likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    What will you do next year to get the pass, assuming you're still with the same girlfriend then? Weren't 40K of her credit card qualifying points essentially wasted?

3. I suppose you do have a point, MSP. However, this will take us through the end of 2013, and who knows what will change in the Rapid Rewards system between then and now. Also, It likely would have taken me at least 8 months to put $10k on my southwest card, so I don't feel I lost out on too much value.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could have made the girlfriend spent $10,000 on a gift for you!

Mikus33 likes this.
  5. MyMiles&Points
    Original Member

MyMiles&Points Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Or you could have used one of the many partners to close the gap - the easiest being Choice in my opinion. At the same time as getting the two Chase SW Visa cards, you can get a Choice Visa that comes with 30,000 points (which transfers into 9,000 WN points). Since the Choice Hotel Visa is issued by Barclays, it pulled a different credit report in my churn. Then a weekend rental from Hertz for 1200 WN points pushed me over the 110,000 mark.

Mikus33 and sellthesedownfalls like this.
  6. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there still a link for the 30,000 point Choice card?

I found this link: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/24-000-plus-16-000-points-for-choice-privileges-visa.6115/ for 24k + 16k after first stay.

Wish I would have done this at the same time I got the WN personal and biz cards (still waiting on the Biz points to post), but late is definitely better than never.

Also, where can I see how far along I am to getting the Companion Pass in my WN account (to confirm my 50,000 personal card points and some other misc. points counted towards the CP)?

7. sellthesedownfalls

sellthesedownfalls Silver Member

Status Points:
    Rapid Rewards (upper right corner) > My Account > My Rapid Rewards (middle of the page), then it's on the left side of the page.

Mikus33 likes this.
  8. redbirdsj

redbirdsj Member

Status Points:
    Do you know if you can transfer Choice points from someone else's Choice Privileges account to your SW account? I am looking to leverage some Choice point transfers for CP qualification.

Mikus33 likes this.
  9. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also, with the Daily Getaways on Thursday, that's a quick way to buy Choice points to transfer (if you can get in on the deal). Plus, you're buying points at a discount for what you can redeem them for.

http://thepointsguy.com/2012/05/upcoming-daily-getaways-highlights/

Note that you're also losing out on the opportunity to gain points by buying flights directly from SW.