Getting the attention of UAL to respond to their lies

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by drsloan, Jul 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. drsloan

drsloan New Member

Status Points:
    Please count me in for any way of correcting the injustice created by the lies of UAL's failure to deliver its SILVER EAGLE LIFETIME MEMBERSHIP obligations. I joined in 1994. I am afraid the only thing they will react to will be related to financial reasons. I suggest that everyone send a letter similar to mine(below). A class action suit would also probably get their attention.

Mr. Jeffery A. Smisek, Esq.77 West Wacker Drive, Department HQDPOChicago, IL60601

Dear Mr. Smisek

At 55 (1994) I purchased for my wife and I lifetime memberships in your SILVER WINGS MEMBERSHIP and appreciated the zone fares. I have also accumulated between 1 ½ and 2 million miles through flying and credit card purchases. The zone fare no longer exists on line or through any phone calls. UAL has been my airline of choice since the inception of your mileage plus program. As the patriarch of a family of 15, you have had all my business. If you do not correct this silver wing injustice, I shall never use UAL EVER AGAIN! That will include canceling my new Mileage Plus Explorer VISA card. At least refund my lifetime membership fee that you falsely sold to me.

I have tried to fly from the California zone to the Colorado zone. It used to be 1 price. Now it will cost 2x the amount to fly from DEN to EGE (VAIL) which is about 100 miles as it would to just Denver from SNA Santa Ana, Ca. The zone to zone promise is no longer there????

My experiences are similar to the below description. YOU ARE NOT TREATING ME FAIRLY FOR MY LOYALTY TO YOU.

Helping UA meet its commitment to lifetime Silverwings members
    I am looking for a solution to stimulate United to honor its side of contracts that were created when United sold us lifetime Silverwings memberships.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope you realize that writing in caps is the same as yelling, right? It makes it hard for me to be sympathetic with your cause when you start the conversation with yelling.

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can someone explain what is this Silver Eagle Lifetime Membership business? It looks like it was before my time:p...

5. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    For a time UA targeted senior citizens with an offer to purchase a lifetime membership in Silver Wings, the name I know it by. That membership entitled you to special fares. The country was divided into zones and you paid a certain amount for a ticket from zone x to zone y regardless of the city involved. At one time they also offered discounts on cruises. Over the years the benefits decreased and ultimately the ability to book zone fares disappeared altogether. There is a lengthy discussion of this in another thread.

Toula likes this.
  6. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 for truth.

It also helps, when interacting with executives of a big company to moderate your tone. You're far more likely to get a satisfactory result with a well reasoned, factual argument than running around with your hair on fire.

Bluto, chaz4449, ella and 3 others like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    How much did that lifetime membership sell for?

Toula likes this.
  8. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sensitive to your issue, but with all due respect your letter is junk. Take a couple hours to cool down, then write with a more professional tone.

9. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The OP of this thread said he was 55. Did that count as "senior citizen" in 1994? ;)

11. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    What resolution are you looking for? It appears that zone fares were advertised as "affordable", but not guaranteed to be cheaper than regularly available fares. With such a structure, the program can be fully honored without providing any real benefit.

12. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    All good points.

Reading some of the "HKG 4-mile award" letters has reminded me how poor some people are at executive communications. One can only hope that these folks have jobs where they don't interact with customers.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  13. nicnews

nicnews New Member

Status Points:
    Is there someone on this thread from the Los Angeles area who would be interested in sharing their experience with the Silver Wings program? I'm a producer with the CBS local news station. nmedina@cbs.com

14. COFreqFlyer
    Original Member

COFreqFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, resurrecting a thread almost 20 months dead.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  15. dgcpaphd

dgcpaphd Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope you realize that what you wrote is not correct. The use of capital letters in a message or communication is intended to call attention to a specific point. "Yelling" - - - - - ?

The OP has a specific message and that message has repeatedly been ignored by UA.

I might agree that if the OP were to "yell" I would be sympathetic because I am aware of his frustration at buying a lifetime membership only to have that membership intentionally breached by UA.

I find the OP's message appropriately written, "caps" and all.
    -

16. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_caps#Computing

When posting on the Internets, 'repeated use of all caps can be considered "shouting" or irritating'.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  17. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't find any "yelling" except maybe at the end. Boy, I would be frustrated too.

18. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I recall correctly, and at my age, that might be doubtful, the Silver Wings program did start at 55 years of age. I looked into, but did not feel that we would benefit to pay whatever the price was - I too have forgotten that charge.

As my wife flies for business, and is reimbursed for such, the Silver Wings program did not do much for her. As I usually fly with her, the old "Zone" system was not that useful either.

Sounds like I passed on something that would have faded away, over the course of time.