Getting points and benefits on Expedia bookings?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by unavaca, May 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it possible to earn points and get Gold-level benefits on bookings made through Expedia? I was under the impression that the only bookings that don't earn are the opaque bookings, like Hotwire-type deals.

I'm trying to get the HH agent to add my HH # to a reservation, but they're telling me that they can't change it and I won't earn points. Is this right?

Expedia says they're also unable to add my HH #.

perryplatypus and uggboy like this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:

You earn no points and get no elite benefits on 'third party website bookings (irrespective of rate paid); and "opaque" channel bookings where the brand may or may not be known at the time of purchase.' Expedia qualifies as a 'third party website' so the stay would be ineligible to earn points or elite benefits (although a property might elect to ignore the latter prohibition). I once booked a stay for Hilton Frankfurt through Orbitz and got zero points, even on incidentals, and was told that I was not entitled to any elite benefits but, as an elite who'd stayed at the property several times in the past, they elected to ignore part of the rule and went ahead and upgraded and let me have breakfast as it was just a one-night stand.

In sum, that is why neither the HH agent nor Expedia can add your HH#. The stay is ineligible and in violation of the HH T&C.

unavaca, perryplatypus and uggboy like this.
  3. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ugh. I thought SPG was the only one who had the 3rd party restrictions. Weak.

Already booked two non-refundable Hiltons :( Thanks.

4. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My experience several times has been that you get no HHonors points and no stay credits toward elite, but that they often honor on-property benefits like breakfast and internet. It is definitely not required under the terms of the program.

To the extent you care, generally the OTAs aren't agents getting a commission, but rather are merchants who buy the rooms at a discount and then resell them at a markup. The discount is greater than the ordinary TA commission (and probably lack of loyalty benefits is part of that difference.)

Of course the chains are still supposed to maintain rate integrity, hence the best rate guarantees, but the system seems very leaky...

5. fyfedog

fyfedog Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had this same thing happen but Hilton was able to do a one time override and allowed my points to count...I contacted them via twitter and they were very nice

6. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Consider calling the hotel directly and seeing if they are able to add your number to your reservation. Again, you won't get HHonors points, but this could help to maybe get your gold benefits at check-in. No guarantees though, but worth a shot.

unavaca likes this.
  7. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup, I called the hotel(s) in question :)() and they added my number. I'm hoping for the best...

8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not wish to rain on the parade but for the purpose of earning points, what is the difference between giving your HH number to the hotel(s) now and giving it when you check in? In FRA, I did give my number when I checked in. I just did not earn points for the stay because of the Orbitz booking and I was told so upfront...

9. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well if they honor Gold benefits, doing so may increase the chances of Breakfast certs being given out upon check-in, versus having to argue with a front desk clerk who may or may not give them if they saw that the guest is staying on a rate booked outside Hilton booking channels. There's no guarantee that they will honor benefits, but doing this technique [calling the hotel directly and having them add my Gold number to the reservation] as a Gold years ago allowed for Breakfast certs inside my room key folder without even asking them. But for the purpose of earning points it probably won't make a difference.

10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    For properties that do prepare elite benefit packets beforehand, it might make a difference...if they do, in fact, elect to honor the benefits...

11. jerryhung

jerryhung Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just curious whether you got your Gold benefits upon check-in? unless you haven't checked-in yet

Thanks

12. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got the benefits, but I didn't get any points. At the end of the day, I'm totally cool with it. Expedia had a much better price -- the difference was WAY more than the points were worth.