Getting My Nephews Excited About Travel

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by IPBrian, Nov 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. IPBrian

IPBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    This maybe wildly off topic, but I am planning on doing more international travel this year. It helps to have greater diversity on my photography blog, and its just fun! I was sharing this with my Nephew (who is 10) and I asked him where he would go if he could go anywhere. He didn't have an answer.

I was really saddened by this response and I want my nephews (my other nephew is 2) to know there is a great big wonderful world out there. I was thinking back to my own childhood and my love of the National Geographic Maps. What is this southeast Asia you speak of? BAM MAP!

I thought perhaps of getting them a big map cork board where they could find different places. I could email my sister and send postcards (as could other traveling members of his family) and they could see in the world where everyone was going.

Does anyone have any other recommendations about getting kids excited about traveling when they aren't necessarily doing the travel themselves?

Mikus33, marcwint55, rwoman and 3 others like this.
  2. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I was a kid I learned a lot about the world through maps and stamp collecting. So, your two ideas would have worked for me. Nowadays the world is so much smaller, and there are many more ways to learn. You could also give them some videos of places you have visited.

marcwint55 and IPBrian like this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would say bring back stuff like candy and chocolates from all over the world.

4. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You could also bring back a flag representing each country and flags perhaps from the cities/towns you visit.

5. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Currency and postcards from all over are super cool - and then pins on the map from where they came from. ;)

6. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I would also get him things from around the world that coincide with his own interests, whatever they are - in other words, try to make the presents relevant to him.

7. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Get a blank white jersey for whatever sport the kids like. Have it autographed by kids of similar ages whereever you go.

8. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    My nieces are 7 and 10, I've been bringing them back handmade gifts when I travel, coins and text them photos during travel. I've recycled guide books from many years ago that they read. Now I've promised them a trip when they turn 16 and my niece said she wants to go to Paris in six years! have them look online about your travels, the kids cartoons and music in the countries also helps.

9. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember purchasing a tube-powered Lafayette shortwave radio back in my teens (they used to send out electronics catalogs- no doubt long out of business by now) and stringing a wire antenna along the roof. I would listen to the BBC, Voice of America, and programming from The Netherlands, among other countries. Now I think any of the web-based or ipod/android radio apps do pretty much the same thing. Have him listen to some of the Australian stations or even the BBC and see if it draws his interest. The accents will sound different than his. I was on a treadmill last week listening to music and commercials from Sydney....makes the time on it a little more interesting than Pandora all the time. I also know what the price of tires will be out in Parramatta if I take the ferry up there from Sydney. :D

Now you can buy a small shortwave radio that's lightweight. The last one I had I bought in St Moritz, Switzerland, and it lasted almost 20 years until the dials wouldn't work (no digital then). Was walking by an electronics store and they had a Grundig Yacht Boy for around $50. Got my money's worth out of that spur-of-the-moment purchase. Imagine you can still find something like that at a decent price.

10. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why would they get excited when they are not the ones going? When I was little I saw my parents went on holiday without us, I felt really annoyed and sad because I really wanted to go. I never got excited about anyone went travelling including my family members etc.

Some people such as my mother-in-law thinks that there is absolutely no need for kids to 'travel'. Travelling is not an interest to a lot of people, and to a lot of people such as my mother-in-law travelling is a 'hassle'.

Bring them cute stuffs - something special about that country you have been to would be the best 'motivation' IMO.

Apologies in advance if I offended you.

marcwint55 and miles and smiles like this.
  11. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think sending postcards, especially with a postmark and stamp from the respective country, can be a great way to get kids interested. Unusual souvenirs or books on the places you visit can also help.

:)

12. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
  13. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If at all possible, take him on a small trip with you. There are national parks all over the country and most kids really enjoy the junior ranger programs that they offer. Upon completion of one of the programs, they get a badge from that national park.

14. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I grew up with a giant Pan Am route map on the wall of my bedroom that still showed Chungking - now Chongqing - as the capital of China (pre-Mao). Unadorned Mercator projection that made Alaska look as big as Africa, but I never stopped looking at it from my bed. That, along with stamp collecting, made it so that I was the only kid in school who could point out where both the Gold Coast and Uruguay were on a world map, and what color "burnt umber" was.

However, the map took a distant second place to a high-quality world globe that an uncle gave me when I was about 12. My folks, who both worked for Douglas Aircraft, had me use a piece of string to show what "polar" and "great circle" routes really meant. I could sit there and spin and examine the globe for long minutes at a time.

Get him both.

15. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    My nieces and nephews didn't travel - neither did their parents - so for several summers from the time they were 5 years old we would do short trips. Our trips were the first time each of them had flown, so we did very short trip first time (IAH-SAT) so that if they were truly terrified I'd have time to drive them home and drive back for my return flight.
    After that, they were hooked about traveling.

If your nephew has no concept of travel, bringing him back stuff or pins on a map don't register with him. It becomes one more geography lesson - or more clutter in his room - unless he has experienced (even in very small dose) what you do.