Getting more AAdvantage Miles for a RTW Ticket...fast!

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Christopher Burdick, Jan 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. I plan on buying a Round-the-World ticket through Oneworld. Their 35,000 mile tier, which according to the awards chart, requires 140,000 points for Economy. I currently have about 103,000 AAdvantage points, meaning I need nearly 40,000 more points, and I plan on taking the trip in late February. Not much time. I have the Citi AAdvantage card and got the bonus but for some reason the two-browser trick didn't work for me, which is why I'm in this dilemma.
    Option 1: Buy 40,000 AAdvantage points (plus the 15,000 point bonus) for $1,212.50.
    Option 2: No idea. Any suggestions, or do you think I should just suck it up and buy the points?
    Thanks in advance for the advice!

2. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you have the starwood preferred guest credit card? SPG allows transfer into AAdvantage - it isn't instant, but they do give you a nice bonus (20k starpoints = 25k AA miles)

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    RTW award ticket next month? Have you checked availability in the correct inventory buckets? Don't you need to plan visas, lodging in some destinations, etc.?

4. That's how I got my first 50k points - transferring 40k and getting the 10k bonus.

I can only buy up to 20k SPG points for $700, which would translate to 25k AA points - not any better deal than buying the AA points directly.

5. Yeah this whole thing was kinda last-minute. I'm trying here :)

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget that certain countries have health requirements as well as suggested measures. Some shots or types of malaria pills need to be started early, perhaps six weeks or more in advance of your travel.

Also remember that visas generally require that you send your passport and proof of airline ticket, hotel reservations, funds, etc., so that you need to sequence the steps carefully. Your passport cannot be in two places at once.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are there limits on the number of AA miles you can purchase or transfer in during a year?

8. Definitely good to know. Asking around, I began to assume most countries didn't require a visa, and that the few who did I'd take care of while on the road. I don't have a strict schedule except for the first couple weeks, so I was thinking most of that legwork could be done while in a different country, and staying an extra couple weeks somewhere isn't a big deal, if need be. Do you know a list of countries that require a visa or vaccinations?

AA lets you buy up to 40k at a time (which includes a 15k bonus in January,) and since I don't need more than that, I didn't look to see if there's a limit. Hopefully the purchase plus transfer doesn't put me over a limit.

Thanks so much for the advice, it's extremely useful.

9. Also, what's the inventory bucket? Sorry if I sound daft, but I'm a newbie and trying to plan this last-minute :confused:

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's likely to be a different inventory class for each carrier which might be the same as the lowest cost in miles award inventory. A good place to start is to call AA and ask a good agent what you need to know about planning this. They might send you to a special RTW desk which is likely to be open only during the business week, M-F 9-5 HQ time excluding holidays. There's also a new OW RTW planning site but the rules for award tickets and RTW tickets paid with money could be very different. Don't forget that fees and taxes can be huge, depending on the routes and carriers you use. You need to start by thoroughly understanding the rules, including whether you can hold RTW award space and what changes might be allowed.

11. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you tried pricing out a RTW revenue ticket? If you're willing to pay $1200+ for the miles required to get a RTW award, you might not be saving all that much with cashing in your 100k miles once you find out what all the taxes are for an RTW award ticket.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  12. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. Miles - If you have $100K sitting around somewhere, you could open a Fidelity account and get 50K AA miles. You may not have time to cycle a lower amount. AA miles tend to post Sunday after the money is deposited (deposited by Thursday). If it has been more than 60 days since you got the Citi AA personal card, you can apply for the Citi Business card for 50K miles. Miles post a couple of days after statement on which you reach the spend. You may be able to get an AmEx SPG personal or business card for another 25K SPG points (plus spend).

2. Availability - Figure out where (at least generally) you would like to go and check on the Qantas website (you need to join their program if you haven't) to see what flights are available for awards. If you are very flexible, you'll have better luck.

13. FrequentMiler

FrequentMiler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you participate in the Club Carlson promo to get 50,000 points after one night stay? If so, you can trade in 50K points for 8000 miles. The ratio gets slightly better if you have 100K points to trade in. With 100K, you would get 18,000 AA miles. Note, though, that the site says:
    Miles may take 4 - 6 weeks to post to your frequent flyer account.

14. 1. I already have a Fidelity account, so I'm not eligible. Plus I don't have $100k :) and it hasn't been 60 days yet for the Citi card, unfortunately.

2. I am very flexible except for the very beginning (first flight) of the trip. Also I'm not quite sure why I'd be checking with Qantas about availability instead of Oneworld.

15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    For visas for USA citizens who want to enter as a tourist for a short stay, as a very general rule the developed countries except Australia do not require visas. Otherwise, while there are exceptions and some do electronic visas or visas on arrival, you should start by assuming that a visa will be required, although the procedures and cost vary widely. In many cases, you must apply through a consulate in your country of residence. Most real visas require that your passport be left with the consulate while the visa is being processed, however long that takes.

For health requirements, most apply to travel to parts of Latin America and Africa, although where you have visited earlier can create an issue. In addition, different regions suggest different forms of anti malaria drugs, some of which should be started up to six weeks before arrival. There are more things advised if you will be in isolated or rural areas.

The USA State Department travel website and some for profit visa agencies claim to summarize requirements but the information can be incorrect or out of date, so you need to check with each country you plan to enter.

16. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a Fidelity account for 20+ years and called in for an exemption because I had never received miles from them. The catch being that you cannot cycle money but I wasn't planning to anyway.

Qantas is a OneWorld partner and they and British Airways have the best visibility into award space on OneWorld carriers. If you go to the aa.com site you can only look up AA award availability.

You may wish to look at the article by Ben from OneMileAtATime on TravelSort: http://travelsort.com/blog/maximizing-awards-using-american-aadvantage-miles and the link in there to finding OneWorld award space.

17. Pirate

Pirate Active Member

Status Points:

Yes the logistics of visas, multiple airlines "falling in" line to makit when and where you want it ...a daunting task...

Instead of buying miles look at a MR on AA , must sign up for double miles(location restrictions), get miles to start your status too !

18. Pirate

Pirate Active Member

Status Points:

PLUS earn 35000 Miles. (Gold plus) on AA. So if you value an award mile earned by paid flying at two cents (CPU), you have earned $ 700 towards future travel?