Getting miles/points from one of those Gas/Electric (Edison) deals. Ouch!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by dhammer53, Feb 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Several months ago, I signed up to get my gas and electric from an alternate energy provider to get Starwood points. It was a healthy 7500 point bonus.
    It's hard to compare rates with these companies upfront, so I played the game a few months in order to analyze the results.

In reviewing my bills, I noticed that I was paying 10% more than last year. To add insult to injury, it's been a warmer winter. :rolleyes: My usage was 10% lower than the previous year.

Between the 10% less usage and the 10% increase in payment, I had a 20% spread over an above the previous year. In was costing me an extra $100 a month. :(

So next time you get a letter in the mail from Delta, American, Starwood etc offering you bonus points to change your electric/gas provider, run. I estimate my extra Starpoints from the bonus and monthlies were about 4 cents a point. I'm glad I caught this before it got out of hand. I cancelled my account yesterday.

Dan

SC Flier and tondoleo like this.
  2. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have come to understand companies offering points/miles almost always do so at a premium but it's usually 5-10%, not double that as you found.

Yes, chalk it up as a learning experience and move on is really all you can do. At least you were paying attention and imagine those who dont...

3. jasher926

jasher926 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Energy prices have gone up since last year, so you're not necessarily getting a bad deal. Is your kwH rate higher than what your old provider currently offers? I switched from ConEd to Ambit for 10,000 AA miles and even though I'm paying more this year for electric, Ambit still has a better rate than ConEd right now.

4. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you call the power company to verify what you thought was going on ?

DTWBOB

5. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree w/ jasher.... you need to look at your comparative rates.... not what your bills were in a totally different time period.