Getting from Lake Como to Malpensa Airport

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by disambiguous1, Jun 9, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. disambiguous1

disambiguous1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife has managed to get five days off work and will join me in Italy. I have her flying out of Malpensa in mid-September, and before that I'd like to spend a couple of romantic days on Lake Como.

I see that the city of Como is the closest to Malpensa, but the reviews say that it does not have the best views or accommodations. I'm thinking of staying up the lake a bit on the west side, at Argegno or Nesso, where the nightly rates are about an eighth to a quarter of those in Bellagio. Her flight goes out at 11:20 am. I'm wondering what the best way to get to the airport is, and how much time to allow.

Should I get her a car straight from the hotel, but I'm sure that will be $$$? Or take a fast ferry (if there is one) to Como and get a taxi from there.

I've never been to Como, so any suggestions welcome, along with advice on transport.

2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lake Como is our favorite region in Italy and we have vacationed there a number of times, most recently in Oct 2014 for our 25th Anniversary
    The last two times we stayed in Moltrasio at a very nice small family owned hotel Hotel Posta.
    http://www.hotel-posta.it/
    Rate was about 150 EU which includes a great breakfast spread and the hotel has a great restaurant. with added advantage of being directly across the street from the lake steamer/ferry/taxi terminal.
    The little town of Moltrasio situated on the hills above the hotel is well worth a visit. It has an interesting duomo and is where Gianni Versace is buried.

As far as getting to Malpensa which will take an hour plus (she will be travelling close to peak hour) I cannot imagine the cost of a hired car or taxi will be that much cheaper from Agregno as compared to Como it still be costly.. but hey this might a vacation of a lifetime.
    There is a fast ferry at 730 am to Como (but be careful all aspects of Italian transportation is subject to change and that's not even considering the lake weather) and she will need to depart the area no later than 800 am especially if her outbound flight is International... if domestic then she would have an extra hour.
    There used to be a bus going directly from Como to Malpensa but that no longer runs.

Your only other alternative is by train which really may be your best bet. There are three trains to Malpensa between 735 am and 835 am leaving Como Nord Lago station which requires a change at Saronno then on to the airport.. total journey takes 57 mins.

As far as the rest of the lake towns you should visit Bellagio of course and our favorite Varenna. also a visit to Villa Carlotta near Tremezzo.
    Further afield there is a spectacular funicular at Brunate.
    Buy a day pass for the lake boat..its sold by zones depending how far you want to travel and has discount for seniors and just cruise around the lake stopping at each little town you fancy.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    disambiguous1 likes this.
  3. disambiguous1

Status Points:
    Newbluesea, as usual, you are a veritable font of useful knowledge. Thanks. And as ever, when I really need to know something specific about transportation in regards to airports, I've found that Milepoint is the most efficient place to come.

About how much do you think a cab ride directly from Moltrasio would cost? The last reference to similar I can find was from 2009, and that quoted 60-70 euros as the going rate from Bellagio. Since Moltrasio is a bit closer and not as congested, I would expect it may be a bit cheaper. I'd certainly be willing to do 70 euros to make sure my wife doesn't miss a connection.

Also the weather, what can we expect around the equinox?

Thanks again. -DA1

4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    First the weather, we were last there Oct 13-16 and it was nice (just what we needed after the Florida summer at home) high 60s in the days (the lake is a bit foggy in the AM and after sunset but it clears up completely before noon) and low 50s at night. On our previous trip we there during the first week of October it was a few degrees warmer. So I wouldn't worry about too much.

Via Michellin shows the distance from Bellagio to MXP to be 90Km ( 1hr 40mins) Traffic on the east side of the lake can be quite slow around those narrow corners.
    From Moltrasio 57Km (53 mins) based on the 70 euro (2009) pricing I would think even allowing for inflation you should be quite safe under your 70 euro target.

One other thing if you are thinking of taking the lake-boat to get her to the train in Como from Moltrasio forget it. There is no early boat in that direction which will get you there in your time frame.

5. disambiguous1

Status Points:
    Newbluesea-- I managed to snag the last lake-view room at the Posta in Moltrasio. Many thanks. However, the respondent, Patrizia, said that a car service to take my wife to Malpensa would cost 130 euros! Ouch! Might you have any other suggestions? Thanks, -DA1

6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why the seemingly reservation about taking the train from Como? (and therefore a taxi only from the Posta)

If you have concerns about your wife taking the train alone why not accompany her to the airport and back?
    I cannot see a one way on the train costing more than 10 euro and the trains are OK even when you have to change its an easy process especially in a such a small station as Saronno.

Basically I would take the early train giving yourselves a bit of time and treat the whole exercise as an adventure. Travel even on regional trains in Europe are pretty straight forward
    and much easier and enjoyable than flying.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  7. disambiguous1

Status Points:
    Newbluesea-- Yes, given the cost I was thinking exactly along the same lines. Since I plan to stay on the lake another day or two, I won't need to carry my luggage with me. Moltrasio is only five miles from Como city center, so a taxi that far shouldn't be that much. Since it will be a Monday I assume that, like anywhere else, there should be a good number of commuter trains moving where people need them to move at the earlier hours. Granted, it is Italy and that may not be the case, but then again it is in the region of Milan, where they try to do things efficiently more often than not.

8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should be OK Iike I posted above there are three trains between Como (Nord Lago) and MXP between 0735 and 0835

Here the link to check the schedule;
    http://www.trenord.it/EN/