Getting exit row seats?

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by kayjay, Jan 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kayjay
    Original Member

kayjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is an award reservation in Lufthansa that I used my miles to book for my mom from Bahrain to SFO with 1 connection at FRA. I'd ideally want her to sit in the exit row seats, but exit row seats are released just 48 hours before the departure. And I can't pay & reserve the exit row seats too, which means she needs to go to the airport 48 hours before to check-in, is it?

She went today to the Lufthansa office in Bahrain to know how she can get exit row seats, they mentioned it is first come first serve basis and asked her to come anytime 48 hours before departure.
    Even if she goes to the airport 48 hour prior, her second leg of the travel, (which is FRA to SFO is 13 hours long), they will not guarentee the exit row seats yet, because it is not 48 hours prior in FRA local time.She is getting little nervous about it.

I'd appreciate any help from you if there can be some way to get the exit row seats.

2. FlyIce

FlyIce Silver Member

Status Points:
    You don't need to go the airport 48 hours before the flight.
    You can assign your seat on Long Haul flights online on LH website; if you have a status you can do that also for short haul.

Be aware that some exit rows may be in the "Premium Area": first rows of Y are usually available for status passengers only.

3. kayjay
    Original Member

kayjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was trying to do online check-in right now and entered her reservation code and her name, Lufthansa site says 'online check-in is available 23 hours before departure'.

You guys mentioned it is 48 hours before departure. Still 2 more hours to go for 48 hours before departure, I was just trying now and saw this message, which means I may not be able to select the exit row seats for her.

Any idea it is 48 hours or 23 hours prior check-in? I still have 1.5 hours for 48 hours prior.

4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    23 hours. 24 if you use Austrian.com

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is the OP's mother qualified to sit in exit row seats? Can she effectively help in an emergency?

6. jetsetter
    Original Member

jetsetter Silver Member

Status Points:
    22 hours if you use SAS :p