Getting credit for Delta status on Alaska booking

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by jomolungma, Jul 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jomolungma

jomolungma Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have Elite status on Delta. I'm forced to fly Alaska Air on an upcoming trip to Seattle. I do have an Alaska mileage plan number, but no status. Alaska says they honor your Delta status in determining baggage fees. Does anyone know how I get Alaska to know my Delta status? Do I book the Alaska flight with my Delta Skymiles number? Do I use my Alaska number and just tell them at the gate my status (that can't be right)? I'd actually call Alaska to ask them, but I can't find anything but their useless automated helper agent on their website.

I guess as a related question, if I want the Alaska miles to credit my Delta account, which mileage plan number should I use at booking?

Thanks for the help!!!

hulagrrl210 and rwoman like this.
  2. jomolungma

jomolungma Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, perseverance pays off. Finally found a number - though through Google, not the Alaska Air website. For those wondering, it's at http://www.alaskaair.com/content/about-us/contact-us/contact-info.aspx

Called and asked and they said I should use my Delta number. I had already used my Alaska number, but they changed it for me.

However, for some reason my Delta status wasn't showing in their system, so she told me to be sure and bring my Medallion card with me at check in to get the credit for my status. C'est La Vie.

hulagrrl210 and rwoman like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP

It sounds like you'll need to check at the counter, (lounge), and gate that you're properly on the list for an upgrade too.

rwoman likes this.
  4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    IME it took a couple of days for my DL status to show up with my AS reservation (booked via alaskaair.com). I still had to call to get preferred seats as they would show up, but did not take, when I tried to select them on the website.

It took several days for the miles to post to my DL account (Wed or Thu) the following week after I'd traveled.

5. HighPlainsDrifter

HighPlainsDrifter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I flew two recent Alaska Airlines flights (GST/ANC, SFO/PDX) and just gave the gate agent my Delta Sky Miles number on checkin not when booking. I was credited on Delta about a week later. On one of the flghts the GA was not impressed with my Delta FO status and tried to charge a baggage fee. I was able through 'polite persistence' to convince her otherwise. By the way award availability in F flying Alaska using Delta Skymiles is good - I was able to get Denver to Juneau redemptions at 45K each. This is normally a very expensive city to fly into peak season.

rwoman likes this.
  6. jomolungma

jomolungma Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the Alaska input. They just became a contract carrier for us on some routes, so I'll probably be taking them more often. But I'm a Delta flyer, so it's good to know that there are ways to make this all work.

7. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just don't hold your breath for upgrades, particularly in and out of Seattle.