Getting around the Grecian islands

Discussion in 'Europe' started by wanderlust, Feb 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. wanderlust
    Original Member

wanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    Going to do some Grecian "island hopping" for the first time this coming summer. I'm wondering what is the best way to get around islands, especially bigger ones like Crete. Is renting a car the best way? Is it easy? Or is their public transportation or other good options?

Thanks guys!

2. Chamonix
    Original Member

Chamonix Silver Member

Status Points:
    We rent a car. In my college days I would rent a moped for running around, but now when I'm with my husband and daughter we get a car.

3. Robin
    Original Member

Robin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been to Crete a few times and traveled by bus. It's not the fasted way (often have to change buses) but it is cheap, a great way to meet the locals and you don't have to keep your eyes on the road. There are both local and express buses depending on your location. Although I've only used it to travel within one region (Chania to SW Crete, Iraklion to SE Crete) but there are interconnecting buses. In SW Crete I also used boats to travel along the southern coast.
    http://www.bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetable.php

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had rental cars on the larger islands, although if you want an automatic, you will pay more for a larger car and you must explicitly be sure that you are confirmed for an automatic as they are still not so common here. You need to be confident about driving on narrow streets in villages and on narrow steep secondary roads that curve through the hills. Directions are frequently signposted in English so navigation is easy but parking in high season is hard. Beware of the custom of driving halfway on the side of the road so that vehicles can pass, as if on a three-lane road, until bridges and overpasses have concrete pillars up to the edge of the real road.

If the hotel is some distance the airport, taxi fares can be shockingly expensive, so that a rental car is not as extravagant as it might seem.

If you fly Aegean, you might be entitled to a day or so of a rental car from Hertz, but this must be booked through Aegean ahead of time. I'm not sure whether they still make this offer, but it had been a few free days of a small car (which could be upgraded) with a business class RT ticket from Athens.