Getting a return ticket.

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by corz123, Apr 16, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys. I'm going to be flying into Indonesia and officially it states that all visitors must have a return ticket. Is there a good way to get around this? I'm thinking of getting a refundable or cancel-able ticket. Anyone know any good options? Thanks!

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you say get around it...are you planning to illegally emigrate, or do you just not have the confirmed travel plans? A valid refundable ticket is a valid return/exit ticket.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lots of countries have that requirement. Sometimes when entering a country you may be asked to show your printed itinerary. It's expected that travelers may not have paper tix printed in advance. After the border crossing, it's acceptable to have a change in your itin, as long as you don't overstay your visa or visa-free period. I don't have any Indonesia specific info, but expect it to be similar.

timfrost and Wandering Aramean like this.
  4. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    You definitely should plan something even if you end up changing it. A friend of mine had a visitor from Germany denied entry to the US last year because he had no outbound or onward travel plans. All he got was a 2-hour visit to DFW and they sent him back.

5. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    the second one

6. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    The requirement for an onwards journey, or return ticket by immigration officials, is a discretionary tool given to them in many cases. How you present yourself, and how straightforward your answers are, determines whether you are in, or out.

Hippie like appearance will get you on the next plane in many countries. Eons ago, in the peak of Lee Kuan Yew's power, long hairs for men (below the collar, and covering the ear) was sufficient to be denied entry.

7. MrB34N

MrB34N Active Member

Status Points:
    My travel agent usually gives me a dummy itinerary when I'm not sure of my return travel plans. Ask your travel agent for one.