Getting a refund for a "guaranteed no show" charge

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Len Williams, Jul 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Len Williams
    Original Member

Len Williams Silver Member

Status Points:
    Recently while out on the road, I made a reservation at a Hampton Inn on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. I had every intention of staying at this particular hotel, but our plans changed during the course of the day. We were unable to stay in the hotel that night, and because of the hectic schedule at the time, I forgot to cancel the reservation.

Within a few days, I noticed I was charged the full amount for the room under a "guaranteed no show" rate. I immediately called customer service at Hilton Corporate and begged for forgiveness. They sent a request to the local Hampton Inn on my behalf requesting a refund, and by the end of that day I had been given all of my money back.

It's great to see Hilton taking care of folks when an honest mistake was made on my behalf.

Davescj, sobore, bobsgt and 1 other person like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You were very lucky. I would have expected the hotel at the very least to keep the first night's room rate because they had it blocked from sale to anyone else.

sobore, Len Williams and upgrade like this.
  3. bobsgt
    Original Member

bobsgt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes nice things happen to nice people! :)

Len Williams likes this.
  4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    agreed, be thankful Len Williams.

I will say that over the past few years, Hilton has been more willing to refund a now & then mistake, but I wouldn't count on it.

Len Williams likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've done well over the years in a variety of hotels, including independent luxury properties, when I've contacted them regarding a flight cancellation within a 24 or 48 hour cancel policy, but in some cases I arrived for the next day of my reservation or pushed a one-night stay back. The truly impressive time I insisted that AmEx FHR call the hotel to cancel--another hotel forgot my wakeup call and I missed my flights that morning, which AmEx was rerouting for me--and that I was a regular there.

Len Williams likes this.
  6. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    The credit belongs to the Hilton Head Island HX, not with corporate. This is a sign of a great property and has little/nothing to do with "corporate" other than them forwarding on your request.

I think the best course of action in either a "no show" or "late cancellation" is to always to contact the property directly.

Davescj and Len Williams like this.
  7. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is totally true. I would send a TY note to the hotel. Most Hampton's are francise, not corporate. They had no obligation to refund. It was a gracious thing to do.

Len Williams and MyTravels like this.