Getting 55 AA miles by this weekend??

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Guzbikes, May 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Guzbikes

Guzbikes Active Member

Status Points:
    This is my first post on milepoint, I've been learning a lot over the past few weeks trying to put together an around-the-world trip.

I'm trying to get three 50k Business/First MileSAAver award tickets, but I have exactly 149,945 AAdvantage miles in my account.

I know I can pay ~$60 for 1000 miles and they will post in a couple days or three. But $0.06/mile is pretty crappy, especially when I don't even need 945 of them.

Can anyone think of a free or cheap way I can get the 55 miles posted to my account before the hold on the flights expires this Sunday?

Or has anyone recently convinced a CSR to let the account go negative, even a little bit?

2. beaktor

beaktor Silver Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca and perryplatypus like this.
  3. Jeff the Wanderer

Jeff the Wanderer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you will be hard pressed to get miles to post by this weekend. As you say, 6 cents a mile is pretty crappy, but $60 is definitely worth it if the other choice is missing out on the award. Even if you find something that should post by this weekend, I would hate to see you pass the deadline for buying miles and having them post, only to find out that your expected miles don't post in time either. This might be one of those time where it is worth it to pay a little extra to be better safe than sorry.

4. msv
    Original Member

msv Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you pay to transfer some miles from a relative or friends account? Dining or Hilton miles would never post fast enough.

5. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have heard of people being comped a few miles when they were that close to an award. No guarantees, of course, but certainly worth a phone call.

6. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many years ago I was in a similar situation, being short a couple of hundred miles from an award. At that time a friendly AA rep told me my mile balance was close enough, and threw in the difference. I wouldn't necessarily count on similar corporate generosity in the current economic climate, but it's still possible they might forgive you the measly 55 miles.

7. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would buy the miles. The worst thing that can happen is a change in availability and then you are really in big trouble. Small price to pay for security.

jbcarioca, rwoman and AnthonyB1609 like this.
  8. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    buy the miles...what's $60 in comparison to your trip?

9. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1

Its $60....dont be so cheap and hung up on cpm. Buy the miles and enjoy your trip.

jbcarioca, perryplatypus and garyst16 like this.
  10. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have Starwood points, I have had good luck with them transferring quickly

jbcarioca, garyst16 and perryplatypus like this.
  11. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Download and install the AAdvantage toolbar.

You receive one American AAdvantage frequent flier loyalty program mile for every three searches. Do 165 searches and you receive 55 American AAdvantage frequent flier loyalty program miles.

While the 55 American AAdvantage frequent flier loyalty program miles will not appear in your account until next month but are indeed pending, you might be able to convince an agent to allow for you to redeem for that award which you want...

12. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would try this approach first.

13. DealsRock

DealsRock Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you looked at points.com exchanges? They usually post within a couple of days.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. Guzbikes

Guzbikes Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone, thanks for all of the great input. I'm definitely going to look into a lot of these tips for earning future AAdvantage miles.

I got the miles thanks to great customer service from AA!

Before I posted this thread I had been talking to various booking agents about letting me book the flight anyway, or allowing the account to go negative. Apparently that was the wrong approach.

Thanks to M7VO for the tip about calling and asking for the mileage credit. Instead of talking to the booking agents, I called the Customer Service desk and told the CSR I needed 55 miles to get to 150k for my award. She said no problem, I'll credit your account! I just received a confirmation email and the miles are supposed to post in a day or two.

Thanks milepoint for the tips. And thanks AAdvantage customer service! It's little stuff like that that keeps customers loyal. I'm always surprised when companies just don't get that, especially when it comes to the small free stuff.

15. AA_EXP09

AA_EXP09 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I already have it and I like using it.

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could fly in Y?? :eek:

:)

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's a great way to get AAdvantage Miles in the future:

Sign up for Opinion Place, and receive 50-200 AAdvantage Miles for FREE if you qualify for, and fully complete a survey.

After you qualify for a survey, you have to wait 1 week to again be able to qualify again for another survey.

Miles post much faster than the AAdvantage shopping toolbar-- taking 1-2 weeks tops.