Get your Olympics hotels --for $40

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by MrAOK, Jul 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MrAOK
    Original Member

MrAOK Silver Member

Status Points:
    As of today, some of the same Olympics hotels that are pretty expensive for cash are offering rooms for hotel points or at Priority Club, cash and points.

I won a trip to the Olympics and get a hotel but checked out what would happen if my sister came and whether I could get her a room from Aug. 4 to Aug. 8.

Intercontinental (priority club) has the Crowne Plaza St. James for either 35,000 points a night or 30,000 and $40. It also has several other hotels available.

SPG isn't doing cash and points, but the W in Leicester Square is 25,000 points a night

Marriott has the London Park Lane for 40,000 points a night

Hilton has rooms at the doubletree for 40,000 points a night

rwoman likes this.
  2. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you win the Hilton Come Dream With Us sweepstakes?

rwoman likes this.
  3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have 8 Priority Club nights at a different property with cash and points. Booked mine a year ago the day they opened up. My hotel was $700 back then and last I checked was just over $400 a night.

rwoman likes this.
  4. MrAOK
    Original Member

MrAOK Silver Member

Status Points:
    So your hotel retail price dropped $300 a night? (though you are doing cash and points)?

I didn't win it from Hilton. I won a trip from a non travel company. I have mixed feelings on it. I will enjoy the Olympics, but have to pay taxes on an $18,000 trip that doesn't include any cash. (Some of the tickets of events I'm attending are pretty expensive).

rwoman likes this.
  5. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. I've seen some Hiltons for even less the last week or two that were sold out or over $700 a night a year ago. Hilton Green Park, where I have stayed before, had some nights for less $250.

It was like this in Beijing, too. I remember someone posted on FT that he prepaid his HIlton there at around $700 and they were selling rooms for half that price before the event. He was denied any consideration being that he had prepaid and it was nonrefundable.

If my cash and points rate was not refundable I would not have booked it a year ago and would have just taken my chances booking closer to the event.

rwoman likes this.
  6. travelgeek

travelgeek Active Member

Status Points:
    Prices are definitely dropping..... I got a pretty good hotel on hotwire for $150 a few days ago. Now the impossible task of trying to get some Olympic tickets.

rwoman likes this.
  7. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I went in 2002, plenty were available at the events. Pity I only had time to see one game (I was in SLC for a job interview and had booked the last flight out).

travelgeek and rwoman like this.
  8. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm glad I have my own place to live during this craziness over the coming weeks! :) Especially considering my rent is only about 4-5x what many are paying for one night! ;)

travelgeek likes this.
  9. christinekenny

christinekenny Member

Status Points:
    This is a good informationl for 2016 Olympics booking. Thank you.