Get the Slick HHonors App for Windows Desktop and Avoid the Annoying Web Brower Login Captcha!

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by NYCUA1K, Feb 14, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whereas Hyatt’s IT remains as unreliable as ever, Hilton has really stepped up theirs, just like they have stepped up pretty much everything else. Take, for instance, the HHonors app for Windows laptop/desktop (henceforth desktop app for short), which is relatively new and may not be common knowledge because I found out about it quite accidentally.

If you have a laptop/desktop running Windows 8.x or Windows 10 (does not work on anything lower), you should download the desktop version of the HHonors app. It is absolutely slick. All the info is at your fingertips, with an incredibly intuitive GUI. The ‘look and feel’ is more like that of a smartphone app than that of a desktop app, and that is because it is adapted from the HHonors app for Windows phone. Below is how it looks.

1. When you launch it on your desktop it comes up fullscreen: (click on any of the images to enlarge)

HH-App-1.jpg

2. After you login. You can view all your reservations, get your account information, do a new booking, or explore current HH offers.

HH-APP-3.jpg

3. Let's say you select "View all reservations". That takes you to all your upcoming, past and cancelled stays on the same page, with links for receipts or checking in online (here I selected to see more past stays and those are displayed on the right -- a very "flat" presentation, as opposed to the usual "layered" presentation.)

HH-APP-2.jpg

4. Selecting an upcoming stay takes you to all the info about that booking, including the location of the hotel on a map, picture and details of the room booked, etc, etc, etc...

HH-APP-5.jpg

5. Selecting "View account information" takes you to the following view, where all your account info can be accessed very conveniently:

HH-APP-4.png

On the left, you have a program feature for which information is available; in the middle, it lists the options available for that feature; and on the right it provides information on the selected option -- very "flat". Select Hotel benefits on the left, as I did, and it lists all the Hilton brands in the middle; then if I click on any brand (Hilton Hotels & Resorts, in this case), I get the associated hotel benefits on the right. You can view your HH membership card, all points activity, etc...

It is all there, "locally", fast, at your fingertips. Rather than the standard "layered' presentation found on most websites that requires multiple clicks to get you to what you are looking for, this app's presentation has been considerably "flattened". The result is greater efficiency. Get it. Here's where and how:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/hilton-hhonors/9wzdncrdljrp#app-details

The app works on these supported OSes:
    Windows 10
    Windows 8.1
    Windows 8
    Windows Phone 10
    Windows Phone 8.1
    Windows Phone 8
    Windows Phone 7

From your desktop running a supported OS, go to the link above and click on "Get the app".

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    uggboy, alanro, mtlfire and 1 other person like this.
  2. othermike27

othermike27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks very much for posting this!

The information display is indeed fast and complete. Seems like enough to keep any HHonors member happy.

Since I rarely use the MS Edge browser and rely on my iPhone for most travel support, I had no reason to poke around in the MS store and would never have found this without your pointer.

As to the regular website requiring a captcha to login, what's all that? I use Firefox on Windows (7 or 10) and enter only HH number and password via Lastpass.

Thanks again.

uggboy and NYCUA1K like this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am also running Firefox 44.0.2 on Windows 7, 8.x, or 10 (all pro) and getting what is displayed below almost always the first time I access the HHonors website and try to log into my account. Subsequent logins may or may not have the captcha (may depend on how long after the initial login I try again):

Click to enlarge:
    HH-Captcha.png

Worse, sometimes captcha can be more complex where they show a bunch of pictures and ask you to select all that show the same item or concept...

uggboy likes this.
  4. othermike27

othermike27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting.

Just for grins, I logged in to Hilton's website using Firefox 44.0.2 on my Linux Mint 17.3 system, and I also tried MS Edge on a different Windows 10 Home system. I'm certain I have never used either of these to log in to any hotel sites. Neither popped up a captcha of any sort.

Must be something you said ... or maybe you Diamonds require extra security. ;)

uggboy likes this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I dunno.. Could be for the enhanced security of "valuable" Diamond members. :)

I know Gary Leff had complained about hhonors' annoying captcha, which they instituted a year or two ago, so I am not the only one seeing this. It was not there before a year to two ago, and then several loyalty program systems got hacked and the captcha were HHonors' precautionary measure to protect against such cyber attacks....

...but it could be a factor of how secure the site thinks a visitor's browser is because Firefox on a Linux/Unix box would be considered very secure, and I just tried logging in with MS Edge and got in with no freekin' captcha, meaning that the new MS Edge for Win 10, which undoubtedly has the lastest security standards implemented, might have passed the "secure enough test". I will keep using it to access the site to see if it was not a fluke...because at the same time I was just able to log in with Firefox with no captcha. Go figure... ;)

uggboy likes this.
  6. Philphactor
    Original Member

Philphactor Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing!

uggboy and NYCUA1K like this.