Get Ready For Increase in September 11 Security Fee in July

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by Canarsie, Jun 21, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Source: Transportation Security Administration

“As required by the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2013, TSA has published an interim final rule to the Federal Register to restructure the September 11th Security Fee.

“In accordance with Federal Law, the revenue generated from the security fee will be deposited in the general fund of the Treasury. The revenue is to be used to offset TSA costs for providing civil aviation security services, after stipulated amounts are applied to reduction of the federal deficit.”

From The Gate:

According to page 33465 of this document, the Transportation Security Administration uses the example of Juneau to Anchorage with a stopover of ten hours; Anchorage to Seattle with a stopover of ten hours; Seattle to Chicago with a stopover of ten hours; and Chicago to New York. With that itinerary, you would currently pay a fee of $10.00 for four one-way trips; but you soon could pay as much as $22.40 under the proposed changes — depending on the definition of a stopover.

There is a period of 60 days where comments will be accepted by the Transportation Security Administration; and that period of time ends on August 19, 2014.

In the interim, the September 11 security fee will be restructured in July to reflect the increased rate.

I suppose this means that the wacky itineraries on which I am known to fly as a passenger will become significantly more expensive in terms of fees...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  2. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks for the "heads up"
    think I will go book my trips fast.

mht_flyer likes this.
  3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are far greater variable costs in travel than this.

mht_flyer likes this.
  4. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, as well as just as ridiculous. Maybe this will help pay for the "randomizer". :confused: I call bullish*t!!

NYBanker and mht_flyer like this.
  5. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    On its own, it will not seem much. In fact, on the back of long haul flights, the cost is likely insignificant to an individual on a specific trip but yet it will add up which is why it is increased in the first place. But I also know we will shrug this off and life goes on.

NYBanker and mht_flyer like this.
  6. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like the effective date for sales is July 21, 2014 for travel on/after July 21. Unless they change it again.

There is no longer a maximum number of fees on a single itinerary.
    The fee will be charged per stop over, currently set at 4 hours for domestic to domestic, and 12 hours for domestic to INTL, or INTL to INTL.

Interesting rumbles around travel between Hawaii, Alaska and US territories and the 48 states and DCA will fall under the INTL 12 hour transit rule but not expected to be implemented in time for July 21 for some GDS's.

7. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Public comments."

The notion that public comments matter to a bloated, ineffective out-of-control government agency is laughable at best.

flyforawg likes this.
  8. Dozer

Dozer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I submitted a comment and I encourage others to do so as well. Here's my beef with this. If you are going to tax me a "security fee" on air travel, then the revenue from that fee should be used for security related purposes. The fact that the majority of the revenue will be used for other government projects not related to security or air travel at all is ridiculous. The increase tax is unfair to the flying public. My concern is if they can get away with this, when will the raise the fee again to fund some other projects? When will it end?

flyforawg likes this.
  9. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Look at the history of motorists being charged tolls on the New Jersey Turnpike and you will find your answer.