Get my parents to Italy

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by Dad to GO, Mar 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    My dad currently has about 200K membership rewards points that he needs to transfer out. He is interested in getting 2 tickets in Bus or First from LAX to Italy. I'm looking for opinions on what you all think would be the best program to have him transfer his points to for them to get to Italy. They'd prefer to keep the fuel costs minimal if possible.

Thanks!

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aeroplan and fly UA metal TATL will work with lower YQ and that number of points. Of course, finding the award seats can be a challenge, but that's a different story.

If you can find seats on the AZ LAX-FCO flight (yeah, I know, very much a long shot) then moving the points to DL would work, too.

MX likes this.
  3. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the help. I'll let him know that. In general can we just use United to search for flight availability and if there is saver award space it should be bookable?

Thanks

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup.

Aeroplan and ANA also both have good search engines and you can use them to keep the others honest, so to speak. Also keep in mind - especially for UA metal - that you'll want to double-check to make sure that Aeroplan sees the same inventory that UA does. It happens from time to time that the airlines make more space available to their own members than partners.